Slow Cooker Whole Chicken Recipe
This recipe is shared from our sister site BestRecipeBox.com . If you’re needing an easy every recipe, check that website for non air fryer foods!
Slow cooker chicken recipes are always wonderful to have on hand for those busy weeknights, especially this slow cooker roast chicken. An ideal one pot chicken dinner that’s versatile, quick and easy are cooking whole chickens in the slow cooker. What you’re not able to finish in one meal, this whole chicken recipe leaves you plenty of leftover chicken for chicken sandwiches and chicken salads for lunch the next day. It’s another one of the dishes that keeps on feeding. A classic oven roast whole chicken will give you a delicious crispy skin, but cooking a whole chicken in the crock pot ( or slow cooker) doesn’t mean you have the compromise a crisp skin. After a few hours in the slow cooker, broil the whole chicken in the oven for a few minutes to crisp up the skin. Not only will you have the moistness from slow cooking a whole chicken, but a quick oven finish will give you a crispy skin. This technique can give you the best of both worlds.
Though there are many basic slow cooker chicken recipes, this particular recipe is very versatile. You can use fresh herbs, dry herbs and your choice of vegetables. And though this recipe uses olive oil to rub on the outside of the chicken, you can use soft or melted butter. What ever you decide to use, this chicken recipe is sure to be a standard favorite. All you need is some gravy and it’s a wonderful dinner for everyone to enjoy. Make sure to add some extra vegetables in there when you roast it so that it becomes a complete meal! Best of all, the house will be warm and delicious smelling which is super welcoming on cold winter days.
Watch the Video making a Whole Roast Chicken in the Slow Cooker
Our Favorite Cookers & Goodies for Entertaining:
Whether you prefer a slow cooker, pressure cooker, or a multi-cooker, these kitchen counter appliances help make dinner a little easier for the busy household, plus with an added bonus of some of our favorite finds for entertaining:
Basic Slow Cooker Whole Chicken Recipe
- 1 four-pound Whole Chicken , rinsed and patted dry
- Olive Oil
- Sea Salt or Kosher Salt
- fresh cracked Black Pepper
- 1 medium Onion , peeled & quartered
- 2-3 medium Carrots , cut into large pieces
- several sprigs Italian Parsley
- several sprigs fresh Thyme
- Rub olive oil over whole chicken, then season it liberally with salt and pepper.
- Place vegetables and herbs in the bottom of a 4-6qt. slow cooker. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Place the lid on, and cook the chicken for about 4-6 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. To determine if the chicken is fully cooked, check that the meat is 165°F in the meat's thickest part and the juices should run clean when you poke into the chicken.
- After the chicken is cooked, the skin will not be crispy yet. To crisp the skin, heat your oven's broiler to 550°F and place the rack on the second to lowest placement.
- Put the cooked whole chicken in a baking dish and place it under the oven's broiler for about 5 minutes, or until the skin is crispy.
- Carve and use the chicken as desired. Save the bones to make a chicken stock.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).