While air frying is a great way to cook healthy wholesome foods, re-heat foods or cook a quick dinner, it helps to learn what not to do. Here’s our list and suggestions to cook safe with your air fryer
Air Fryer Safety Tips: Do’s and Dont’s
- DO read the manual that came with your air fryer. There’s valuable information about safety and how to use it property. There might even be a hotline number and social media accounts listed on those manuals for you to ask for help. We have our safety tips below based on our own experiences, but make sure to rely on your manual and the professionals that made your air fryer.
- Don’t burn yourself or your countertops. There are internal and external components of the air fryer which get super hot during cooking. It’s easy to burn yourself so make sure to not touch any of those hot elements with your bare hands. Do use a silicone glove or oven safe mitts. Use a silicone trivet or heat safe board/mat to place hot air fryer baskets and lids on.
- Don’t cook in a non-ventilated area or a small closed off corner. Place your air fryer near vent hoods and turn vent hoods on. Pull the air fryer away from the the wall and open windows if necessary.
- Don’t let the air fryer hot air ventilation openings blow into electrical outlets. You need to leave space around the air fryer for the vent to circulate.
- Don’t put the air fryer on the stove. You’ll might accidentally turn on the stove and melt your air fryer.
- Don’t use use perforated parchment paper at high heat without having food over it. If you don’t have enough food weighing down the parchment paper, it will fly around when the hot air circulates and cover the food. This will make the food cook unevenly.
- Don’t use cooking sprays with propellants, aerosol sprays or chemical based non-stick sprays. They might start to break down the coating on many non-stick baskets & trays. Do invest a few dollars in a quality oil spray or pump and use a quality high flash point oil. We discuss all this here on: Best Oil and Sprays for Air Fryers.
- Don’t use wet batters or coatings. The coating will splatter everywhere from the fan. Do use a bread crumb crust by dredging food in flour, raw beaten egg, then bread crumbs. Then liberally spray oil on the bread crumbs so that they are weighed down on the food, keeping it from flying around. If dry bread crumbs hit the heating element this can cause smoking. You must use a decent spray of oil and coat all the dry breading spots so it can cook crispy. Otherwise it often cooks dry and hard. Here’s more info about smoking air fryers.
- Don’t over-crowd the air fryer basket. The food won’t cook evenly and the air doesn’t get a chance to circulate properly. Do try to keep the food in a single layer during air frying.
- Don’t forget to check on the food so it doesn’t burn. Not all air fryers cook the same. Some cook hotter, some cook slower, some have super powerful fans, others just a moderate fan strength. Do use a timer to remind you to flip, shake or check on the food.
- Don’t season the food with salt while it’s in the air fryer. Dry salt laying on non-stick interiors may cause the basket coating to break down and peel. Do season the food first in a bowl or cutting board, then add it to the air fryer. Or season after cooking.
- Do use accessories and inserts that are made for your air fryer. These are convenient items are fit the air fryer and maximize cooking space.
- Don’t clean the racks or air fryer basket with harsh metal scouring pads. For safe cleaning, soak the dirty racks and baskets in hot soapy water for about 20 minutes. The crusted food should wipe off easily.
- Again, read your air fryer manufacturers manual! and here’s more air fryer safety tips here.
Read the rest of our Air Frying 101 Guides Here.
Want to share this advice? Please don’t copy it. Just share the link, credit and link back to this copyrighted article. We’ve have issues with people stealing our words and content (photos) and putting their logos on it and putting on their blogs or posts. It’s wrong to do this. We put a lot of time and research into this so sharing is caring! Thank you so much.
BUY OUR AIR FRYER ECOOKBOOKS HERE FOR EASY MEALS AND LOW CARB RECIPES! Cook the Recipes, Eat the Delicious Recipes and Live the Life Changing Way to Cook.