Is Smoke Coming Out of Your Air Fryer? Read This.
Is your air fryer smoking or smoke coming out of the air fryer vents? Don’t freak out. Read our article below. It’s most likely because all the oil or food particles (bread crumbs) on the food are splattering on the heating element. What to do? Stop the air fryer, use a paper towel to remove excess oil at the bottom the air fryer or put a piece of bread at the bottom to soak up the oils.
Why is smoke coming out of the Air Fryer?
Fatty Foods Splattering Grease: There’s many reasons for your air fryer giving out smoke. The main reason is because foods with lots of fat will release grease and splatter on the heating element. This causes the air fryer to smoke and release white smoke, often following by burning smells and burnt food. But this doesn’t mean that you can’t cook higher fat air fried foods. Here’s our guide and tips to solve problems with air fryer smoke.
Troubleshooting Guide for Problems of Smoking Air Fryers
- Smoke or Steam? Is all that white stuff smoke or steam? If it’s steam, it’s part of the normal cooking process. If it’s smoke, then read more below.
- Too much oil and grease on the food cooked at high temperatures (360F or higher) splatters on the hot cooking element which causes smoke. Be prepared to see smoke if you’re cooking foods like bacon and chicken thighs. A lot of the smoke comes from cooking meat at higher temps.
- Dirty heating element/coils or old food crumbs. Keep your air fryer clean! When it’s completely cool, gently wipe the inside and heating elements or coils to remove old grease or food stuck on it. Clean out any old grease leftover at the bottom of the air fryer.
- What if my food doesn’t have too much grease? Maybe it was because it was battered with dry batter (read #4) Did you overcrowd the basket or rack? read #5. Don’t crowd your basket or rack with food because even if your food has little oil but you cook a lot at a time, that can still cause oil/food particles to splatter on heating element.
- Burning Food Particles Blowing Around. Sometimes it’s not just grease but also food particles splattering on the hot element can cause smoking. Is your food battered/breaded? was it sprayed down enough? If not, then the hot circulating air blows food particles around, particularly dried breading and that can cause burning and smoking. Bread crumbs flying around can definitely be a problem for smoking.
- Is your air fryer too small. Your air fryer basket might be too small for cooking at higher temps. Try cooking less in a small basket or get a larger one. Still make sure to not overcrowd the basket with food.
- Lay slice of bread or add water to Air Fryer. Some people suggest adding water at the bottom of the air fryer pan or basket to help splattering. The theory is that the bread will soak up excess oil, which can help minimize splattering. We tried it and it definitely helps, so it might work for you. It’s great if you’re making air fryer whole chicken with skin on or air frying bacon.
- Your temperature is too high. Some air fryer cook really hot and some recipes might call for too high of temperature. Try cooking the food at the lower temperature for longer.
- You need to air fry in a well ventilated kitchen? If you’re in a small, closed kitchen then even the slightest steam or light smoke can be overwhelming. Open up windows, turn on your vent hood or try your best to ventilate your kitchen.
- Use oils with high smoke points which can cook at higher temperatures without giving off too much smoke. Examples are light/refined olive oil, grape seed oil, avocado oil, vegetable oil which can help minimize smoke.
- Ask your questions in the comments below and we’ll try to help figure out the problem.
Are you Still Having Problems with Smoke Coming out of Air Fryer?
- Are you still having smoke problems? then it must be a manufacturer issue. Call them and ask for help about your air fryer smoking.
- Still more problems? then THINK about what it is that you are cooking and if it’s the same type of food, then you need to change the recipe or how you are cooking it.
- Stop Air Frying. Some foods don’t cook well in an air fryer. And if after all this trouble shooting and you still experience smoke, then cook it on the stove top or oven. Air Fryers aren’t great for everyone or for all foods.
Want to share this advice? Please don’t copy it. Just share the link, credit and link back to this copyrighted article. We’ve have issues with people stealing our words and content (photos) and putting their logos on it and putting on their blogs or posts. It’s wrong to do this. We put a lot of time and research into this so sharing is caring! Thank you so much.
Want to know more about what air frying is about and Beginners Guide? Here’s our tips:
- Check out all our Air Fryer 101 tips for beginners air fryer beginners guide
- Read our What is Air Frying info.
- How to Clean Air Fryers
- Safety tips for air frying
- Best Oils and Pump Sprays for air frying
- What are perforated parchment sheets?
This article was originally published in 2019 and re-published with updated tips. Hope our guide helps answer our questions about air fryer smoking. Here’s some great healthy air fryer recipes.
16 Comments on “Is Smoke Coming Out of Your Air Fryer? Read This.”
We got one of those Emeril 360 air fryers. Right out of the box we put 10 breaded shrimp in the basket. Our smoke detector went off.
Two days later, we did a chicken on the rotisserie. Our entire house was filled with smoke. We had to turn off the air conditioning system so as not to circulate the smoke through our HVAC. We had to open both front and back doors. We also placed the air fryer on top of our conventional stove top and turned our industrial stove vent to high in order to vent the house.
The air fryer went back to place of purchase.
We are fortunate that we didn’t get any flame ups from the lower heating element. And this was only a 4 1/2 pound chicken.
I would not suggest purchasing one of these as they are really not a very good or safe products.
Thanks for sharing Alan and so glad you and your family are safe.
We have had the same problem whenever we use the Emeril 360 air fryer.
I dropped my air fryer basket, and now when I try to insert he basket back in, it could but it leave a very tiny gap meaning there will be heat escaping, so can I still use it?
Note: I baked cookies when there was a gap and it came out perfect.
Hi Selena, so sorry you dropped the basket! It’s best to contact your manufacturer for that question and maybe then can replace it? It’s worth it to ask!
I just got the PowerAir Fryer360 and I would like to know how to cook an meatloaf in in this oven what are the time setting for to cook an meatloaf in this oven Thank You
Have new Calphalon Precision Toaster oven, If I put the wire rack on lower slot to support baking pan (to catch drippings) then it’s not possible to to put airfryer rack in the slots. Is it typical for a toaster over/fryer to be like that.
Chicken drippiing on elements gives a huge amount to smoke.
Hi Jim we’re not too familiar with the Calphalon toaster oven combo. To make sure, you should reach out to the manufacturer regarding your specific toaster oven/fryer model. Thank you.
Why my Philip air fryer is bran new I only used it 4 time but I stop using because it makes a lot of smoke as soon as I turn it on. I clean my after every after use. Why it’s smoking the moment it’s on
Hi Marie, it’s best to reach out to your air fryer manufacturer. You should check to see if anything is caught on the heating element. It could be even a little bit of food or packaging material that got stuck in the back. But your manufacturer can help you trouble shoot this.
grease spilt over the water pan, will it hurt the motor? what can i do to clean
Hi Julie, it’s best to reach out to the manufacturer of your air fryer model.
I got a ninja air fryer as a gift it smokes so bad it fills the room up with smoke sets the smoke detectors off in the kitchen and my front room.
Did you try opening up all your windows and placing the air fryer under your vent hood? If it continues, we suggest reaching out to the manufacturers to help trouble shoot.
my geek chef air fryer started smoking and the air fryer quit working. I have had it not even a year. I’ve heard there are recalls on air fryers. I have no receipt and don’t know who to contact.
Hi Karen, do you still have the manuals? There should be the contact info on there along with a support phone number.