Air Fryer Frozen Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
Kids love mozzarella cheese sticks as a snack. Learning how to make air fryer frozen mozzarella sticks is super quick and easy. It’s easily one of our favorite frozen food snacks to cook in the air fryer. Just pop them in and the hot air quickly cooks the mozzarella sticks from frozen. What you get is a crispy, crunchy outside and melty cheese on the inside, you’ll always want to make these air fried cheese sticks.
How to Air Fry Frozen Mozzarella Sticks or Cheese Sticks
- We’ll never cook these frozen mozzarella sticks in any other way now except in the air fryer. The regular oven doesn’t cook them nearly as good or crispy.
- Don’t thaw first. Air fry the cheese sticks straight from the freezer. It gives them a crispier outside coating.
- Spread into an even layer when air frying. Don’t stack the cheese sticks in the air fryer basket/tray. Crowding or stacking the cheese sticks makes them cook un-evenly. So cook in smaller batches if needed so there’s space for the hot air to circulate between the mozzarella sticks.
- No oil spray. There is no need for any oil spray to cook the cheese sticks. There is enough in the crust when they make them that you don’t need to add any more.
- Add your favorite dip and you’re ready to enjoy. We love serving them with a marinara sauce but we know lots of folks enjoy dipping them in ranch or bbq sauce too.
- All recipe details, time and temp are in the recipe box below.
- Pro-Tip: here’s our favorite tools to help make air frying easier:
We LOVE the Evo Oil Sprayers. Not the prettiest, but they’re functional and spritz oil great! They don’t clog up like many others we’ve bought. There’s different styles, but all seem to have the same great spray head. Works great for grilling!
There are Square Mats & Round Mats. These perforated non-stick silicone mats are used to cook food in your air fryer or steamer to minimize sticking. Holes allow hot circulating air to cook the food & keeps the food from sticking.
Parchment sheets are great for your air fryer or bamboo steamer (food tends to stick most on wire basket or tray). Choose from different sizes, shapes, white and brown (unbleached). Holes allow air to cook food evenly.
Video: Air Fried Frozen Mozzarella Sticks
Why Did the Cheese Sticks Burn?
It’s because your air fryer model cooks hotter than our test kitchen brands or it was already pre-heated. When you cook your next batch, decrease the cooking time by 2 minutes. Check the cheese sticks then add additional 1 minute of air frying time until the mozzarella sticks are cooked to your preferred doneness.
What Sauce to Serve with Mozzarella Sticks
Marinara sauce is always a classic. Warm it up and enjoy the deliciousness! Some other sauces to consider: ketchup, BBQ Sauce, salsa, hot sauce, this amazing 5-minute mustard sauce, pesto, ranch, chili garlic sauce, cocktail sauce, hot sauce, buffalo sauce, tzatziki, alfredo.
Air Fryer Frozen Mozzarella Sticks
- 6 Frozen Mozzarella Sticks
- Dipping Sauce Options: Marinara sauce, ketchup, ranch, sweet chili sauce, mustard sauce, etc…
- Place the frozen mozzarella sticks in the air fryer basket and spread out evenly in a single layer. No oil spray is needed.
- Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for 5 minutes. Gently shake or turn. Continue to Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for another 1-2 minutes OR until the cheese nearly starts to ooze out.
- Make sure to let them cool a little before eating. The cheese can be super hot. Serve with your favorite dip.
- No Oil Necessary. Cook Frozen – Do not thaw first.
- Shake or turn if needed. Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- Recipe timing is based on a non-preheated air fryer. If cooking in multiple batches back to back, the following batches may cook a little quicker.
- Recipes were tested in 3.7 to 6 qt. air fryers. If using a larger air fryer, they might cook quicker so adjust cooking time.
- Remember to set a timer to shake/flip/toss as directed in recipe.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Best Dips: the best part is dipping these crunchy cheese sticks. There’s so many options:
- marinara sauce
- bbq sauce
- hot sauce
- blue cheese dip
- honey mustard sauce
- tarter sauce
- thousand island dressing
This recipe was originally published in 2018 and republished with updated video. Hope you enjoy our air fryer frozen mozzarella sticks! Here’s more great ways to enjoy mozzarella sticks.