Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
If your kids love chicken parmesan, you’ll love our air fryer chicken parmesan recipe because it’s so easy. The chicken is crispy with delicious sauce and cheese on top. This air fried parmesan chicken recipe is always a family favorite.
Easy Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan Recipe
If you haven’t tried this yet and you love chicken parmesan, you’re going to obsess over this healthier chicken parmesan. Our air fryer chicken parmesan is quick and too amazing to not try if you have an air fryer. And if you don’t have an air fryer… let’s just say our life became better once we started cooking in one. If you’re a fan of chicken parmesan, try making air fried chicken parmesan and you won’t be disappointed.
Video making Chicken Parmesan in the Air Fryer:
Crispy and Amazing
With hardly any oil, the outside crust of the chicken parmesan is crispy and delicious. It’s hard to beat our recipe for air fryer chicken parmesan. There’s no oil, other than a little oil spray. That’s all you need and when the chicken comes out of the air fryer, it’s delicious! The chicken crust is crispy and flavors are super flavorful. With the added sauce and mozzarella cheese, chicken parmesan dinner is super quick. Add it with pasta for the kids and if you want to eat low carb, add steamed veggies!
How to Cook Air Fried Chicken Parmesan
- Step One: Cut the chicken breasts in half, lengthwise. Pound the chicken breasts into thinner pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Make sure to cut the chicken lengthwise so it’s not too thick. You can also buy pre-cut chicken labeled as “chicken scallopini”.
- Two: In medium bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. In another bowl, beat the eggs and set aside. For a low carb or keto version, you can omit the bread crumbs or replace with crushed pork rinds.
- Three: Dip each piece of chicken in egg and then dredge it in the breadcrumb/cheese mixture. Spray both sides of coated chicken with cooking spray right before cooking.
- Check out the complete recipe in the recipe box below.
Can You Freeze this Chicken?
Yes you can! But freeze the cooked chicken after it’s cooled. Don’t put the sauce or cheese on. Just freeze the chicken. When you’re ready to serve, take the chicken out of the freezer and allow it to thaw over night in the fridge. It might take 2 days for it to completely thaw. Then warm it up with the sauce and cheese before serving. And if you love chicken, try our air fryer roast chicken.
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan
- 1 1/2 lbs. (680 g) boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 breasts)
- kosher salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- 3/4 cup (80 g) bread crumbs , or as needed
- 1/4 cup (25 g) grated parmesan cheese , or as needed
- 1-2 large eggs
- Cooking Spray , for coating
- 2 cups (480 ml) marinara sauce or tomato sauce
- 1 cup (112 g) grated mozzarella cheese
- Chopped Italian parsley , for garnish
- Pat the chicken dry. Cut the chicken breasts in half, lengthwise. Pound the chicken breasts into thinner pieces. This will make sure the chicken cooks all the way through. Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a medium bowl. In another bowl, beat the egg(s) (amount of eggs will depend on size of chicken – start with one and add an extra if needed) and set aside.
- Dip each piece of chicken in egg and then dredge it in the breadcrumb/cheese mixture. Shake off any excess bread crumb coating. Repeat with the remaining pieces of chicken. Spray both sides of coated chicken with cooking spray right before cooking.
- Place chicken breasts in single layer inside air fryer basket. Spray any dry spots with oil if needed. If using smaller air fryer basket, you will need to cook in batches.
- Air Fry at 360°F/182°C for about 6-8 minutes. Flip the chicken breasts and top the chicken with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Air fry the sauced and cheese chicken breasts for another 1-3 minutes or until sauce is heated through and cheese it melted to your preference. Garnish with optional parsley and serve warm.
- Recipes were cooked in 3-4 qt air fryers. If using a larger air fryer, the recipe might cook quicker so adjust cooking time.
- If cooking in multiple batches, the first batch will take longer to cook if Air Fryer is not already pre-heated.
- Remember to set a timer to turn the chicken as directed in recipe.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Nutrition Information per Serving
More Air Fryer Recipes:
- Air Fryer Parmesan corn with garlic
- White castle breakfast hack
- Garlic Parmesan chicken bites
- Crispy pasta chips in the air fryer
- eCookbooks for the air fryer .
- craving more chicken recipes? check out all our air fryer chicken recipes here.
- This recipe was originally published in 2019 and re-published in 2021. Here’s more of our air fryer chicken recipes some great healthy air fryer recipes from Eat Better Recipes.