Air Fryer Frozen Fish Fillets
We love fish fillets and learning how to cook raw fish fillets from frozen in the air fryer is super easy and we think you’ll love them too! They come out crispy and absolutely delicious! Cooking Air fried frozen fish is a game changer.
How to Cook Air Fryer Frozen Fish Fillets (RAW)
Frozen fish fillets are better air fried than a regular oven because the hot circulating air makes the fish fillets crispy without having to oil them. Add some tarter sauce and a few slices of lemon and voila! It’s perfect with the bright lemon juice and dip. And if you want to make it a meal, air fry some french fries after for a perfect fish and chips air fryer dinner! All time, temp and details are in the recipe box below.
Video: Air Fried Frozen Fish Fillets
What Time and Temp for Raw Frozen Fish Fillets
- All the frozen fillets we found were frozen RAW. There’s so many different brands of frozen fish fillets: Gortons, Van de Kamps, Great Value, Birds Eye. Mrs. Pauls and Marie Calendars are a few brands to look for.
- When you’re air frying the fish fillets, check to make sure they’re cooked through on the inside and crispy on the outside.
- After air frying for the initial base time of 12 minutes, check on the fillets and flip them. Add additional minute or two of cooking until they are crispy and cooked through.
- Your first batch will basically be like the “test”. After that, you’ll know exactly what time and temp you’ll use with your specific air fryer. After that, you’ll be the air frying fish fillet expert!
- See recipe below for detail on time, temperature and step-by-step photos.
- Pro-Tip: here’s our favorite tools to help make air frying easier:
We LOVE Evo Oil Sprayers. Not the prettiest, but they’re functional and spritz oil great! They don’t clog up like many others we’ve bought. There’s different styles, but all seem to have the same great spray head. Works great for grilling!
There are Square Mats & Round Mats. These perforated non-stick silicone mats are used to cook food in your air fryer or steamer to minimize sticking. Holes allow hot circulating air to cook the food & keeps the food from sticking.
Parchment sheets are great for your air fryer or bamboo steamer (food tends to stick most on wire basket or tray). Choose from different sizes, shapes, white and brown (unbleached). Holes allow air to cook food evenly.
Should you thaw the frozen fish fillets before air frying?
No, you don’t have to. Besides, if they’re thawed they will be hard to handle. It’s best to air fry them directly from frozen. But for what ever reason if they ended up being thawed, air fry them for about 8 minutes then check on them. Add additional 2 minutes or more of air frying until they are cooked through and crispy to your preference.
Air Fryer Frozen Fish Fillet
- 4 Frozen Breaded Fish Fillet
- optional dipping sauce (tartar, aioli, garlic/lemon butter, soy-ginger, sriracha mayo, nuoc mam (Vietnamese fish sauce), hot mustard, etc.)
- Place the frozen breaded fish fillet in the air fryer basket. Make sure they aren't overlapping. No oil spray is needed.
- Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for 12 minutes. Flip the fish fillets over.
- Continue to Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for another 2-4 minutes or until cooked through and the coating is crispy.
- Serve with optional dipping sauce.
- No Oil Necessary. Cook Frozen – Do not thaw first.
- Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket. Lay in a single layer.
- Recipe timing is based on a non-preheated air fryer. If cooking in multiple batches back to back, the following batches may cook a little quicker.
- Recipes were tested in 3.7 to 6 qt. air fryers. If using a larger air fryer, they might cook quicker so adjust cooking time.
- Remember to set a timer to flip/toss as directed in recipe.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Nutrition Information per Serving
What To Dip with Air Fryer Crispy Fish Filets?
- Classic tarter sauce is always a favorite.
- Thousand island dressing isn’t just for burgers! Try this with the air fired fish fillets, you just might love it.
- Marinara sauce or pasta sauce: these are so much more flavorful than plain tomato sauce. Red sauce goes great with the air fryer fish fillets
- Classic ketchup : can’t go wrong with this classic
- bbq sauce : we love the flavors of the smoky bbq sauces
- Different types of hot sauces: the spicy dips are an awesome balance against the crispy fish. Use sriracha or even chili garlic crunch (chili crisp)
- Buttermilk ranch : this creamy dip is always a favorite
- blue cheese dip: the tangy, rich flavors of blue cheese are great.
- honey mustard sauce : sweet, tangy and always delicious
You Might also Love these Air Fryer Fish Recipes
- (Homemade Fresh) Air Fryer Fish Fillets
- Air Fryer Shake N’ Bake Style Crispy Fish Fillets
- Air Fryer Frozen Fish Sticks
- Healthy Air Fryer White Fish with Garlic and Lemon Pepper
- Here’s some great fish fillet recipes to try in your air fryer.
This recipe was originally published in 2019 and re-publihsed in 2020 with updated notes.