Air Fryer Shake N’ Bake Style Crispy Fish Fillets
Our air fryer Shake n’ Bake fish fillet recipe was a success. Everyone in our test kitchens LOVED these homemade crispy fish fillets cooked in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Shake N’ Bake Fish Fillets
We tested 5 different brands of shake n’ bake style seasoned coating mix and all were great. This is a fantastic method to get a quick, easy and crispy fish fillet dinner in minutes. All the brands were crazy easy to use and the results in the air fryer are always crispy and fantastic. There’s many different boxed options for seasoned breading mix out there so let’s talk about how to use them.
Video: Air Fried Shake N’ Bake Style Fish Fillets
How to Air Fry Fish Fillets with Seasoned Coating or Breading Mix
- Different brands of shake n’ bake style: After testing several different brands we found that they are all very similar. Some textures might vary and also the level of seasonings will vary.
- The difference is slightly in texture and flavor. Some are more seasoned and saltier than others. But for the most part cooking times and techniques, they are pretty much the same. So just test a few different shake and bake style breading mixes to find the one that best suits your taste!
- How to make the breading stick to the fish: The boxes say to moisten the fish first like ice water, milk, egg or mayo. We added mayo part because mayo is great!
- Different types of fish fillets, size and thickness: Cooking times will vary depending on the size, thickness and type fish. Once you make your first batch of crispy fish fillets your specific air fryer, you’ll know exactly what time and temp works best for your personal taste.
- Visit the recipe box below for all air fryer shake n bake fish recipe details. You can print the recipe too.
Seasoned Coatings & More To Use in This Recipe
Air Fryer “Shake ’n Bake” Style Fish
- 1 lb. (454 g) white fish fillets (cod, halibut, tilapia, etc.)
- Ice water, beaten egg, milk, or mayo , to moisten the fish
- 1 cup (125 g) Shake ’n Bake Style Seasoned Coating Mix (approximately)
- Oil spray , to coat the fish
- Preheat Air Fryer at 380°F/195°C for 4 minutes.
- Cut fish fillets in half if needed. Make sure they are even sized so they’ll cook evenly. (The thicker they are, the longer they will take to cook). Moisten the fish based on seasoned coating instructions (or by using ice water, beaten egg, milk, or mayo). Coat with the seasoned coating mix.
- Spray air fryer basket/tray with oil or place a perforated parchment sheet in the air fryer basket/tray & lightly coat with oil spray (this helps keep the seasoned coating from sticking to the surface & coming off).
- Place the coated fish in a single layer (cook in batches if needed). Make sure the fish is not touching or the coating may flake off when you flip them. Lightly coat with oil spray.
- Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for 8-14 minutes, depending on the size and thickness of your fillets. After 6 minutes, flip the filets. Lightly spray any dry spots than then continue cooking for the remaining time or until they are crispy brown and the fish is cooked through. Serve with your favorite dip: tartar sauce, mustard, aioli, etc.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Here’s more of our Air Fried Chicken Recipes Here