Air Fryer Shake N’ Bake Style Fried Chicken
Have you ever wanted make air fryer Shake N’ Bake Chicken ? We did and how were the results? The answer is an enthusiastic YUM and YES for any brand of shake n’ bake style seasoned coating mix.
Air Fryer Shake N’ Bake Fried Chicken
This is a fantastic method to get a quick, easy and crispy air fried chicken drumsticks or chicken thigh dinner in minutes. Wow, we were impressed with the flavors in these seasoning mixes. Best of all, they’re crazy easy to use and the results in the air fryer are always crispy and fantastic. There’s many different boxed options for seasoned breading mix out there so let’s talk about how to use them.
Video: Air Fried Shake N’ Bake Style Chicken Recipe
How to Air Fry Chicken with Seasoned Coating or Breading Mix
- After testing several different brands we found that they are all super similar. For cooking times and techniques, they are pretty much the same.
- How do these shake n’ bake style brands differ? The difference is slightly in texture and flavor. Some are more seasoned and saltier than others. So just test a few different shake and bake style breading mixes to find the one that best suits your taste!
- The boxes say to moisten the chicken first and we added more options to do this: ice water, milk, egg or mayo.
- Chicken drumsticks, thighs, breasts and legs. Cooking times will vary depending on the size, thickness and type of cut of chicken. Once you make your first batch in your specific air fryer, you’ll know exactly what time and temp works best for your personal taste.
- Visit the recipe box below for all air fried shake and bake chicken recipe details. You can print the recipe too.
- Try all our Shake N’ Bake style recipes here (pork chops, veggies, fish fillets and more)
Seasoned Coatings & More To Use in This Recipe
Air Fryer “Shake ’n Bake” Style Chicken
- 2 lbs. (910 g) chicken drumsticks or thighs (4 drumsticks or 2 thighs per pound size)
- Ice water, beaten egg, milk, or mayo , to moisten the chicken
- 1 cup Shake ’n Bake Style Seasoned Coating Mix (approximately)
- Oil spray , to coat the chicken
- Preheat Air Fryer at 360°F/180°C for 4 minutes.
- Moisten the chicken based on the seasoned coating mix instructions (or by using ice water, beaten egg, milk, or mayo). Coat with the seasoned coating mix.
- Spray air fryer basket/tray with oil or place a perforated parchment sheet in the air fryer basket/tray & lightly coat with oil spray (this helps keep the chicken coating from sticking & coming off).
- Place the coated chicken in a single layer (cook in batches if needed). Make sure chicken is not touching or the coating may flake off when you flip them. Lightly coat the chicken with oil spray.
- Air Fry at 360°F/180°C for about 25-35 minutes, flipping half way. Chicken thighs need about 5-8 minutes additional cooking time to cook completely through. Lightly spray any dry spots and then continue Air Frying for the remaining time or until they are crispy brown or until internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165°F.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Check out more of our air fryer shake-n-bake style recipes here.
Here’s more of our Air Fried Chicken Recipes Here
- Crispy breaded potato wedges recipe: JoJo’s!
- Air Fryer Shake N’ Bake style fish fillets
- Breaded crispy broccoli bites with Shake N’ Bake style breading.
- Shake N’ Bake style pork chops in the air fryer is amazing!
- This recipe was originally published in 2019.