Air Fried Frozen Tater Tots or Potato Puffs
You’ll love cooking air fried frozen tater tots. Once you make them in these air fryer tater tots, you’ll never want to cook them any other way. Promise! Air fried potato puffs are amazing: the texture is crispy, perfect without all the oil.
How to Cook Air Fried Frozen Tater Tots (potato puffs)
You really don’t need to add extra oil spray at all because the frozen tater tots already have oil in them. But if you decide to spray with oil, the tater tots will just have a more “crispy deep fried” texture. Add your favorite dip to a plate of these and you’ll have the best snack ever. Air frying these potato puffs or tater tots gives an incredible crunch that the traditional big oven doesn’t.
Video: Air Fryer Tater Tots:
Can you cook air fried frozen tater tots in the air fryer?
- Yes! Check out the photos below. There’s so many different sizes of tater tots or potato puffs, so adjust timing as needed.
- Also, each air fryer cooks a little differently. So you’ll have to adjust time and temp accordingly. Just use our temperature recommendations below and keep checking the potatoes.
- Gently shake or turn them halfway through cooking to make sure they’re crispy on all edges. You might need to turn them an additional time if you’re cooking a lot at once.
- Once you cook your first batch, you’ll know what is the best time for your style of air fryer, potato puffs or tots.
- See recipe below for details.
- Pro-Tip: here’s our favorite tools to help make air frying easier:
We LOVE Evo Oil Sprayers. Not the prettiest, but they’re functional and spritz oil great! They don’t clog up like many others we’ve bought. There’s different styles, but all seem to have the same great spray head. Works great for grilling!
There are Square Mats & Round Mats. These perforated non-stick silicone mats are used to cook food in your air fryer or steamer to minimize sticking. Holes allow hot circulating air to cook the food & keeps the food from sticking.
Parchment sheets are great for your air fryer or bamboo steamer (food tends to stick most on wire basket or tray). Choose from different sizes, shapes, white and brown (unbleached). Holes allow air to cook food evenly.
Do you Need to Thaw First?
No. You don’t need the thaw the tater tots before air frying. You’ll get the best results by air frying them straight from the freezer. Cooking from frozen gives them the crispiest outside. We’re obsessed with these air fried potato puffs.
Why we love making tater tots in the air fryer
- They’re the perfect quick and easy snack or side dish. And they’re a great item to have in your freezer for an emergency snack or appetizer.
- Our air fryer tater tot casserole is amazing! Once you make an initial batch of regular tater tots as a practice batch, you can advance yourself to making this awesome breakfast casserole in the air fryer.
- If you have a camping trailer you can bring a small air fryer and make these for breakfast! It takes just a few minutes.
- Tater tots are the best for anytime of day. From breakfast to lunch and to dinner, there’s always an occasion for these.
- Finally, if you love hash browns. Try our hash brown breakfast casserole in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Frozen Tater Tots (Puffs)
- 1 lb. (454 g) Frozen Tater Tots (Potato Puffs, etc.)
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Place the frozen tots (puffs)in the air fryer basket and spread out evenly. No oil spray is needed.
- Air Fry at 400°F/205°C for 5-8 minutes. Shake and gently stir about halfway through cooking. If cooking larger batches, or if your tots (puffs) don't cook evenly, try turning them multiple times on following batches.
- If needed air fry at 400°F/205°C for an additional 1-3 minutes or until crisped to your liking. Season with salt & pepper, if desired.
- No Oil Necessary. Cook Frozen – Do not thaw first.
- Shake or turn if needed. Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- Recipe timing is based on a non-preheated air fryer. If cooking in multiple batches back to back, the following batches may cook a little quicker.
- Recipes were tested in 3.7 to 6 qt. air fryers. If using a larger air fryer, they might cook quicker so adjust cooking time.
- Remember to set a timer to shake/flip/toss as directed in recipe.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
You might also love these Air Fryer Recipes:
- Crispy Air Fryer Garlic Potatoes
- Air Fryer Frozen Cauliflower Veggie Tots
- More–> Air Fried Frozen Foods and All French Fries Recipes
- Check out more french fry recipes here
7 Comments on “Air Fried Frozen Tater Tots or Potato Puffs”
I added some cheese on top of mine after they were done. Amazing totchos in the air fryer!
My 8 qt. air fryer worked just like this recipe said. I used the same tots and did some fries also. They were both delicious.
Thanks Barbara for the input and helpful info about what air fryer you used. Glad you enjoyed these!
Perfect and quick for breakfast. Great recipe.
They come out perfect everytime!!
This is so easy,and. Good