Air Fried Frozen Chicken Tenders or Strips (breaded)
You’ll love these air fried frozen chicken strips. They come out so CRISPY & EASY in the air fryer. Kids love these crispy air fryer frozen chicken tenders for snacks, lunch, or dinner.
How to Cook Air Fried Frozen Breaded Chicken Strips
Frozen chicken tenders or strips are sold in 2 ways: frozen fully cooked or frozen raw.
- Fully Cooked breaded frozen chicken tenders are super easy to cook in the air fryer. They can go straight from the freezer to the air fryer and cooked in minutes. You don’t need to spray the chicken because there’s plenty already when it was pre-cooked.
- RAW: There’s also frozen raw chicken strips, where the breading is pre-cooked but the chicken is raw. Timing between the frozen pre-cooked and raw differs by a few minutes. You still need to check to make sure the brand you bought cooks all the way through. Start by checking the strips after 10 minutes. And then cook for additional time to make sure it’s cooked and crispy to your liking.
- All air fryer chicken strip recipe details are in the recipe box below.
- Pro-Tip: here’s our favorite tools to help make air frying easier:
We LOVE Evo Oil Sprayers. Not the prettiest, but they’re functional and spritz oil great! They don’t clog up like many others we’ve bought. There’s different styles, but all seem to have the same great spray head. Works great for grilling!
There are Square Mats & Round Mats. These perforated non-stick silicone mats are used to cook food in your air fryer or steamer to minimize sticking. Holes allow hot circulating air to cook the food & keeps the food from sticking.
Parchment sheets are great for your air fryer or bamboo steamer (food tends to stick most on wire basket or tray). Choose from different sizes, shapes, white and brown (unbleached). Holes allow air to cook food evenly.
Video: Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Strips or Tenders
Different Breadings on Frozen Chicken Strips or Tenders
With so many different brands of frozen chicken strips, there comes different breading styles too.
- Japanese panko, Italian style bread crumbs, gluten free, and keto pork rinds are just a few examples of what you can buy on the market.
- Timings will be slightly different between brands, so start air frying at the shortest time we suggest. From there, check on the chicken strips and cook for a few more minutes until the chicken tenders are to your preferred crispness and doneness.
Easy Chicken Recipes in the Air Fryer
If you love air frying chicken, we have these delicious recipe ideas for you:
- Air Fryer Crispy Chicken Strips using fresh homemade breading and fresh chicken. We love these tenders because they’re so juicy on the inside!
- Doritos crusted chicken strips are amazing! The salty crunchy texture of the crushed chips make these one of our most popular air fried chicken recipes.
- For convenience, try Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings. They’re sold completely cooked and frozen so cooking times are quicker for a meal in minutes.
- Air Fryer Frozen Breaded Chicken Breast is another way to have lunch or dinner ready in minutes. The frozen chicken breasts are usually sold as fully cooked.
- Here’s our complete collection of air fryer chicken recipes.
Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Strips
- 12 ounces (170 g) Frozen Chicken Strips (Tenders) (about 4 strips)
- Place the frozen chicken strips in the air fryer basket and spread out into a single even layer. No oil spray is needed.
- Air Fry at 400°F/205°C for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken over and then continue to cook at 400°F/205°C for another 2-5 minutes or until cooked through and crispy.
- No Oil Necessary. Cook Frozen – Do not thaw first.
- Shake or turn if needed. Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- Recipe timing is based on a non-preheated air fryer. If cooking in multiple batches of chicken strips back to back, the following batches may cook a little quicker.
- Recipes were tested in 3.7 to 6 qt. air fryers. If using a larger air fryer, the chicken might cook quicker so adjust cooking time.
- Remember to set a timer to shake/flip/toss as directed in recipe.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
This article was originally published in 2020 and re-published in 2021.
If you made this please share your results in the comments! there’s so many different types of wings and air fryers that time and temp changes. So it helps to share your model air fryer, time and temp that works best of you. Thanks friends! Hope you enjoy these air fried frozen chicken strips! Here’s an easy homemade chicken strips recipe.