Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings (Raw, Pre-Cooked, Breaded, Sauced)
Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings
There’s so many different brands and types of frozen chicken wings to air fry. First is identifying if the frozen chicken wings are raw or pre-cooked. Secondly, some are plain, breaded or sauced. Once you know which type you’re cooking, you’re halfway there to making an amazing batch of air fried wings. We were surprised at how well the wings cooked from frozen! Yes, straight from the freezer and rock hard, these frozen wings cooked wonderfully in the air fryer. We couldn’t believe how easy they were and even the raw ones cooked all the way through. More info below in our write up and all recipe times and temperature details are in the recipe box below.
Video: Air Fried Frozen Chicken Wings
How to Cook RAW FROZEN Chicken Wings
Holy cow, frozen RAW chicken wings cooked all the way through in the air fryer. We were initially doubtful during our first tests because the raw chicken wings were rock hard frozen. It was hard to believe that they would cook all the way through, but they sure did. They were crispy on the outside and cooked all the way through on the inside. It’s always better to check one wing first to make sure it’s cooked through before you pull the whole batch out of the air fryer and start eating. Pick the thickest drumette or wing and tear into it. If it’s still slightly raw, cook it for a few more minutes. What if your wings are raw and thawed? Here’s our technique if they’re raw and thawed.
How to Cook PRE-COOKED FROZEN Chicken Wings
Some frozen wings are already cooked so you have less worry about them being raw in the middle. But it still takes time because they’re frozen solid and you want the outside to be crispy. Like we mentioned before, check the thickest drumette or wing and see if it’s cooked through. Also, make sure it’s cooked crispy enough to your preferred liking.
FROZEN BREADED or PRE-SAUCED Wings
Yes to make it more complicated, frozen wings are sold either breaded or pre-sauced. So it’s easy to get confused, but use our base timing below and your best judgement on when they are cooked.
More Air Fryer Options:
- Here’s –> How to Cook FRESH RAW Chicken Wings
- Keto Air Fryer Chicken Wings with Crispy Parmesan Crust RECIPE HERE.
- How about air frying frozen chicken tenders, nuggets and other munchies? All frozen food info is here.
Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings
- 1 pound (454 g) frozen chicken wings (Raw, Raw & Breaded, Pre-cooked - breaded &/or sauced)
- Place the frozen chicken wings in the air fryer basket and spread in an even layer (make sure they aren't overlapping). No oil spray is needed. See individual type below for cooking guidance.
Frozen Chicken Wings - Raw
- Air Fry at 400°F/205°C for 18-30 minutes (depending on thickness), flipping the wings a couple times while cooking. Check for doneness & air fry longer if needed.
Frozen Chicken Wings - Pre-Cooked
- Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for 18-30 minutes (depending on thickness), flipping the wings a couple times while cooking. Check for doneness & air fry longer if needed.
- No Oil Necessary. Cook Frozen - Do not thaw first.
- Shake or turn if needed. Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- If cooking in multiple batches, the first batch will take longer to cook if Air Fryer is not already pre-heated. Recipe timing is based on a non-preheated air fryer.
- Recipes were tested in 3.4 to 6 qt air fryers. If using a larger air fryer, the recipe might cook quicker so adjust cooking time.
- Remember to set a timer to shake/flip/toss as directed in recipe.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Here’s more great fresh chicken wing recipes to try in your air fryer.