Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
Love buffalo wings? You have to try these air fryer buffalo wings for your next chicken wing craving. In less than 30 minutes these air fried buffalo chicken wings are juicy, delicious and finger licking good.
Why Make Air Fried Buffalo Wings?
These are so tasty, you’ll want to make these all the time. The hot circulating air of the air fryer makes the chicken wings crispy and fantastic. It takes less than 30 minutes to whip up a batch of buffalo wings and that’s including the time to add all the sauce. If you have a larger air fryer you’ll be able to make these great air fried appetizers faster for a big party.
Homemade Buffalo Sauce or Bottled Sauce?
You can use either! There’s some great bottled buffalo wing sauces out there. We’ve tried several different brands and all are so different with delicious flavorful profiles. Or you can make a homemade buffalo sauce using Franks Red Hot Sauce, Tabasco Sauce, or similar hot sauces. They will work great and with the addition of some extra spices, you can customize your own homemade batch to your personal taste.
Hot Sauces Perfect for Making Homemade Buffalo Wing Sauce
Video: Recipe for Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
Tips: How to Make Air Fryer Buffalo Wings
- Separate the drumette and wingette/tip so everything can cook crispier. Here’s a description of the chicken wing parts.
- Air fry in single layers or batches: When air frying the wings, make sure they are in a single layer in your air fryer basket or rack. Don’t stack them as they will not cook as evenly nor crispy.
- Adding sauce during cooking? Yes you can! About 1-2 minutes before you take out the cooked wings, you can brush some buffalo sauce on them. Cooking the sauce on the wings for about a minute or two then air frying will make the wings a little more flavorful. But make sure to not over cook the sauce on the wings or else they will burn. After you take out the wings, you can brush more sauce on.
- Times will vary. There’s many different models and styles of air fryer. They all cook a little differently. After you cook your first batch, you’ll know the best cooking time for your specific air fryer and personal taste.
- All air fried buffalo chicken wings recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Can you re-heat buffalo wings in the air fryer?
Yes, re-heating wings in the air fryer is fantastic. But they can easily dry out so here’s some tips to make them less dry.
- For best results, microwave your cooked buffalo wings if you take them straight out of the fridge. Microwaving them for about 3 minutes in the microwave heats the wings without drying them out too much.
- Then place them in the air fryer and re-heat at 375°F for about 3-5 minutes OR until they become crispy.
- Air frying the wings after microwaving will make then crispy on the outside and still warm on the inside without drying out.
Air Fried Buffalo Wings with Homemade Sauce
- 1 lb. (454 g) chicken wings
- Kosher salt , or sea salt, to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- garlic powder , optional
- Make the Buffalo Sauce: Whisk together the buffalo sauce ingredients (melted butter, hot sauce, Worcestershire or soy sauce, and garlic powder). Set aside.
- If needed, pat dry the chicken wings. Season the wings with salt, pepper, and optional garlic powder and then add to the air fryer basket/tray in a single layer (cook in batches if needed).
- Air Fry the Wings at 400°F/205°C for 20-30 minutes, flipping the wings after the first 15 minutes. Cook the wings until crispy and cooked through. Depending on how many much you are cooking and the size of your air fryer, the wings might need to be tossed a third time while cooking so the air fry evenly.
- Optional: For a little more flavor, brush a little sauce on wings about 2 minutes before they are finished cooking. Continue to air fry for another 1-2 minutes with the sauce. Make sure not to air fry the sauced wings too long or else the sauce will burn. You’ll be adding more sauce on before serving.
- Sauce the Wings Before Serving: allow the wings to cool for a couple minutes, then toss them with the homemade buffalo sauce. The sauce will cling less to super hot wings because the hot wings melt the butter. So if the wings are slightly cooler, the homemade sauce will cling more. If you’re using bottled sauce, then you can coat the super hot wings and the sauce will still stick. Sauce and serve warm.
Don’t overcrowd fryer basket.
If cooking with the a sauce, it is added in just at the end, otherwise it will usually burn before the chicken wings are cooked.
If cooking in multiple batches, the following batches may take less time to cook because the Air Fryer is already fully at temperature.
Remember to set a timer to shake/flip/toss the wings for even cooking.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Nutrition Information per Serving
What to Serve with Buffalo Wings?
- Celery is a classic vegetable served with buffalo wings, but consider serving slices of cucumber, radishes and carrot sticks.
- Ranch is the most popular sauce for the veggies, but try hot sauce, spicy mayo or a honey mustard.
- We love eating air fryer potato wedges, air fryer waffle fries or air fryer tater tots.
Enjoy more Easy Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
- Simple air fryer chicken wings with no oil
- Frozen chicken wings that are raw or pre-cooked
- Amazing shake n’bake fried chicken in the air fryer
- Homemade air fryer chicken tenders or chicken strips
- Crispy Parmesan crusted chicken wings in the air fryer
- Simple no oil chicken wings in the air fryer
- All our air fryer chicken recipes here