Air Fryer Cheeseburger Egg Rolls (crispy spring rolls)
Yes, these air fryer cheeseburger egg rolls are not your traditional egg rolls but they are super delicious! We love the beefy and cheesy flavors for the filling and it’s crazy good. These can also be called Air Fried Cheeseburger spring rolls that are crispy!
Air Fryer Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
Once you bite into these crispy delights. you can enjoy cheeseburgers in a different way! The hot circulating air of the air fryer helps make these less greasy than deep frying. It’s a great way to enjoy this easy appetizer without all the greasy calories. It’s such a treat to eat these knowing that they are a little “healthier” by air frying. A platter of cheeseburger egg rolls will a hit at your next party or game day gathering!
Tips on How to Roll Egg Rolls:
- It all starts with a great wrapper. Best ones are normally packaged as “spring roll” or “pastry wrappers. These can be found at Asian supermarkets, some specialty market or usually in the refrigerated section of grocery stores.
- These “spring roll or pastry wrappers” are thinner than most egg roll wrappers found at traditional super markets, which are thicker. The texture of the ones in the photo below are light and crispy, rather than thick and doughy. You can certainly use the thicker “egg roll wrappers”, just make sure to cook them a little longer so they cook all the way through.
- Smaller sized wrappers: We like using the smaller sized wrappers because because the egg rolls will cook quicker and crisper in the air fryer. The more layers of wrappers you have in your roll, the more chances of having the inside layers still raw because the air fryer can’t cook through all the layers. If you use the larger wrappers, then try to roll larger egg rolls so that you have less interior layers of wrapper that go un-cooked.
Air Fryer Cheeseburger Egg Rolls
- 1 pound (454 g) beef *see head note
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 1/2 small onion , minced
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) kosher salt , or to taste
- freshly grated black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (170 g) grated cheese , whatever you prefer – Cheddar, swiss, blue cheese, etc.
- 10 slices pickles (optional) , diced (dill or sweet depending on preference)
- water , to seal wrappers
- 14 (about) egg roll wrappers or sometimes called "spring roll pastry" wrappers in the freezer section of market.
- oil or oil spray , for coating rolls
- ketchup, mustard, &/or bbq sauce , for dipping
Make the Egg Roll Filling
- Cook the filling: Heat a pan over medium-high heat. Add the oil and then add the onion Cook for about 1-2 minutes or until softened. Add the ground beef, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the beef is browned and cooked through. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- After the beef has cooled, stir in the cheese and optional diced pickles.
How to Roll and Air Fry
- Using egg roll wrappers or spring roll wrappers, add about 1-2 Tablespoons of filling to each wrapper (depending on the size of the wrapper) Tuck and roll the wrapper around the filling.
- Brush the top corner of the wrapper with water to help seal the wrapper end, and then finish rolling the egg roll. Repeat for all the egg rolls. Brush or spray rolls with oil to coat.
- Place the egg rolls in the air fryer basket in a single layer. Try not to have them touching or overlap. Cook in batches.
- Air Fry at 380°F/195°C for about 12-16 minutes, flipping halfway through. Cook until the wrapper is crispy and browned. If you use the larger wrapper cook a little longer so that all the layers can cook through to avoid being tough and chewy.
- Serve warm with ketchup, mustard, bbq for dipping.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Nutrition Information per Serving
Hope you enjoy these air fried cheeseburger spring rolls that are crispy! Here’s more great egg roll ideas here.