Air Fryer Smash Tacos
Hey friends! We’re still obsessed over these air fryer smash tacos. It’s such a delicious way of eating tacos. Our nephew made them and he’s still raving over how easy and amazing they are. The smash burger tacos are a viral recipe sensation on Tik Tok and we just had to try it. Now we’ve worked on the taco version with Mexican flavors and toppings.
What’s the big deal about Air Fryer Big Mac Smash Burger Tacos?
Previously we made these “big mac” or burger version of the tacos we saw on tiktok and they’re called air fryer smashburger tacos. Check out our air fryer recipe! These burger tacos a super popular and crazy delicious taco that tastes like a big mac. It’s essentially burger meat that’s smashed onto the tortilla and cooked on a hot pan. So it’s like a thin burger patty that’s in between the tortillas. The fillings are exactly what you would see on a cheeseburger or big mac. The burger sauce that’s like a thousand island dressing is what really takes the flavors to being like a big mac.
Air Fryer Smash Tacos are so good
Now that we were inspired by the burger version, we now have the air fryer smash tacos. It’s the air fryer version of essentially the same thing as the burger, but without the burger toppings. This time, this air fryer taco recipe has all the flavors and toppings that you would find in a ground beef taco.
- Instead of cooking the ground beef in a separate pan, you just smash or spread the raw ground beef on a tortilla. Then you air fry it to be crispy.
- Crispy is the key in making this so good because the air fryer makes it happen!
- All all the toppings you would prepare and serve on a regular taco is what you would use here. So no fry sauce or burger sauce. It’s all taco bar toppings.
Video: Air Fryer Smash Tacos
Tips on Making Air Fryer Smash Tacos
- Yay to no oil! no need to spray any extra oil because when cooking the beef so no oil spray or oil brush is needed.
- Hot air fryer: You really want a hot pre-heated air fryer. Make sure to pre-heat your air fryer so the meat can get a great sear.
- Make the meat thin and even: When smashing or spreading the raw meat on the tortillas, make sure they’re not too thick. And the meat will shrink during air frying, so spread the meat all the way to the edges of the tortilla.
- Taco meat seasonings are perfect to use here! There’s many different brands out there on the market
- Use a quick melting cheese: Use a thin slice of American cheese if you want it to melt faster. You can use thicker artisan cuts of cheese, but it’ll take a little longer to melt. You might need to actually air fry the cheese slightly rather than just using the residual heat to melt the cheese.
- Taco bar toppings: think of all the different taco toppings you want to add.
- Check out all the air fryer smash tacos recipe details in the recipe box below. And there’s step by step photos too for you to follow along during air frying.
Different Brands of Taco Seasoning to Choose From
Air Fryer Smash Tacos
- 1 lb. (454 g) ground beef
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder , or to taste
- 1 oz. (28 g) taco seasoning mix (1 packet – about 3 Tablespoons)
- 6 (5-6 inch) (13-15 cm) flour or corn tortillas
Tacos Toppings (all optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- cotija cheese
- slices cheddar or American cheese
- Shredded cabbage or lettuce
- salsa or pico de gallo
- tomatoes , diced
- 1 avocado , sliced or cubed
- hot sauce
- Preheat air fryer to 400°F/205°C for 5 minutes.
- Add beef in bowl and stir in the garlic powder and taco seasoning mix (use about 1/2 the packet for mild seasoning – use the entire packet for full seasoning). Mix to combine well.
- Spread about 1/4 cup (60ml) of beef on tortilla. Press or “smash” the meat into the tortilla until it reaches the edges of the tortilla. Repeat this process for all the meat and tortillas.
- Place tortilla in air fryer with meat side facing up.
- Air fry at 400°F/205°C for 5 minutes or until beef is cooked to your liking and the tortilla is slightly crisped.
- Immediately remove the tortilla from the air fryer and top the meat side with your favorite taco toppings. Gently fold the taco over.
- Repeat for all the tortillas and meat. Fold over tortillas to create taco shape and Enjoy!
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Nutrition Information per Serving
Best Tortillas for Air Frying Smash Tacos?
There’s always the question of which tortillas to use? Flour or corn? It’s a personal choice, but the results definitely change when you’re air frying them for these sash tacos.
- Flour tortillas: When it comes to air frying tortillas, we like using flour Tortillas because they crisp quickly in the air fryer. Also, they’re softer so they can fold into the taco shape easier.
- Corn Tortillas: But if you’re a fan of corn tortillas, that’s great too! You will need to add a spray or brush of oil on the tortilla when you flip to the tortilla side on the pan. The extra oil will help make the corn tortilla crispier.
- Careful when flipping: But also another warning, if you flip to have the tortilla side up during air frying, the meat might separate from the tortilla. Also, it might overcook the meat too. Hope you enjoy these smashtacos!
Taco bar toppings to make it amazing
What makes a smash taco bar fun is all the toppings. From different types of salsas, to pico, to hot sauces it’s always fun to customize these air fried smash tacos. Here’s some of our favorite taco toppings:
- We love salsa verde! It’s a tangy flavor and we love the bright green colors.
- You always gotta have quacamole.
- Hot sauces are what take tacos to another level!
- Different types of cheese, including queso.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes:
- Instant Pot shredded chicken tacos
- Slow Cooker chicken tacos
- air fryer tortillas pizzas
- taco salad using slow cooker cicken
- homemade honey mustard sauce
- vegetarian buffalo cauliflower in air fryer
- more reading on what are smash tacos?
- Want a skillet version of the smashburgers we were talking about? Here’s a recipe for a skillet version of smash burgers on best recipe box.