Air Fryer Salisbury Steak
Our air fryer salisbury steak recipe is always a family favorite! It’s so easy to make, you’ll wonder why you never made this before. The mushroom onion gravy smothered on top of air fried salisbury steaks is what make this recipe over-the-top delicious.
Air Fryer Salisbury Steak recipe
Sure, you can make this on the skillet but the hot circulating air on air fryers gives these patties a great crust. It’s so simple to make and with the push of a button, the beef patties are tender moist and delicious. Air frying salisbury steak patties is a great homemade dish that is just as good as a restaurant. But the best part about it is that it’s budget friendly and can easily feed a family of 4-5.
Why are salisbury steak patties so good?
What makes this dish so great is because it’s all about the gravy! Our gravy just doesn’t have mushrooms, it has onion too. The caramelized onion along with the sauteed mushrooms adds so much depth of flavor. The crusty, charred bits of onion really takes the gravy to another level. If you’re not a fan of onions, you can just make this popular and easy mushroom gravy.
Video: Recipe for Air Fryer Salisbury Steak
How to Make Keto Low Carb Salisbury Steaks?
It’s simple to make these lower carb and keto friendly. A few substitutions will do the trick.
- To thicken the gravy, don’t use regular all purpose flour. For the keto friendly version, you can use xanthum gum and more. Here’s a great article that goes into details for keto thickeners.
- For binding the meatballs together instead of using bread crumbs, you can use crushed pork rinds.
- Coconut flour and almond flour are also good substitutes for regular bread crumbs.
Other Meat Options Instead of Beef
What if you don’t want to make beef patties? You can use any protein you like. Although classic salisbury steak is made from ground beef, there’s always different modern ways to make it custom to your diet.
- Vegan salisbury steak meatballs: you can use beyond meat or impossible meat. These plant based meat products are. perfect to make vegan plant based meatballs. Here’s a great list of vegan meat substitutes for this recipe.
- Poultry options: Ground chicken or turkey is definitely a lower fat and learner ground meat.
- Love lamb? Lamb meatballs have so much flavor and add it to this already fantastic gravy is a flavor bomb all around.
- Use ground pork for pork meatballs. These are great if you love to eat pork.
Tips on How to Make Air Fried Salisbury Steaks
- Lean beef or fatty beef? We like to use a leaner ground beef because it doesn’t shrink too much. We prefer 85% lean beef and the flavor is still great. Remember, it’s the gravy that gives these salisbury steak meatballs more flavor and juicy texture.
- Alternative meats: Like we mentioned above, you can use other ground meat alternatives if you really don’t want to use ground beef.
- Seasonings for more flavor: Season the gravy well! The salt really adds flavor so seasonings like salt and worchestershire add great umami flavor. You can even use soy sauce if you don’t have worchestershire.
- If you like a really good sear on the patties, you can pre-heat the air fryer first for about 3 minutes. This will give you a really hot start to air frying the patties. Getting a good sear will keep the meatballs a little juicier too if you’re not eating them with the gravy.
- Substitute for bread crumbs is using crushed pork rinds for binding.
- All recipe details are in the recipe box below along with step by step photos.
Air Fryer Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
For The Steak:
- 1 pound (454 g) ground beef
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) bread crumbs (or breading or choice – crushed pork rinds, panko, almond flour, etc.)
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt , or to taste
- lots of black pepper
For The Mushroom Gravy:
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 8 oz. (227 g) mushrooms , sliced
- 2 cloves (2 cloves) garlic , minced
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup (30 g) flour
- 3 cups (710 ml) cold broth
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Oil Sprayer optional
- In large bowl mix together all the steak ingredients (beef, bread crumbs, egg, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, garlic salt, mustard powder, salt, and black pepper).
- Shape into 4 oval patties. Set aside.
- Make the gravy: Heat a large pan over medium-high and add olive oil. Add mushrooms and cook until golden and excess mushroom liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and butter, and cook for another minute, or until translucent.
- Whisk the flour into the broth until smooth. Add the broth to the mushrooms and heat to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste (the saltiness and flavors will concentrate some when it reduces down).
- Once gravy starts to boil, reduce heat to Low. Stirring often, simmer until the gravy starts to thicken, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Air Fry Patties: Spray the air fryer basket/tray with oil. Place the patties in the basket/tray. Spray the patties with oil.
- Air Fry patties at 380°F/193°C for 7 minutes. Flip the patties.
- Continue to Air Fry at 380°F/193°C, for another 3-7 minutes or until the center temperature is 165°F/74°C or to your liking.
- Serve the steak patties topped with the mushroom gravy.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
What to serve with salisbury steak ?
There’s so many ways to enjoy these flavorful patties smothered in gravy. Here’s a few of our favorite and most popular ways to serve:
- As an appetizer! These fabulous steaks are great if you cut them into little bites. They’re great to serve on a platter at a party. Serve with little toothpicks or party picks so guests can serve themselves. Add a little ladle so they can spoon some gravy over.
- Hoagie sandwich: buy some soft hoagie bread and fill it with a salisbury steak patty and a big spoonful of gravy!
- With pasta or egg noodles: Kids love eating meatballs with egg noodles or on different types of pasta.
- Rice or other grains is always another great options.
- On mashed potatoes, of course! This is our favorite way to eat these juicy patties: serve them on a bed of mashed potatoes.
Make-ahead Salisbury steaks
These steak patties are perfect for meal prep. You can make the whole recipe ahead of time. But when the patties are cooked, remove them from the gravy and allow them to cool. Then freeze the patties separately. You can freeze the gravy too. But when it thaws, it might be too watered down. Allow it to heat up and stir it really well to break up all the clumps. Add a little bit of heavy cream or butter to thicken it a bit.