Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
Air fryer zucchini fries are always a favorite appetizer or side dish. The edges are crispy and each warm bite reminds you of how delicious healthy vegetables can be without all the deep fried oil. You’re going to love these healthy air fried zucchini fries as a low carb alternative.
Crispy Air Fried Zucchini Fries
The hot circulating air turns these little strips of zucchini into fantastic crispy fries! Our air fryer zucchini fries takes just a few minutes to make. You can have a batch of fantastic fries for an appetizer to share, as a side dish or as a snack. They’re definitely healthier than using starchy potatoes. And if you want a lower carb keto friendly version of air fryer zucchini fries, we have some tips below.
Video: Recipe for Air fryer Zucchini Fries
How to Make Air Fryer Zucchini Fries Recipe (Tips)
- Our recipe is lower carb by not using flour as an initial dusting. We just season the strips of zucchini, dip in egg then breading. The zucchini might be a little slippery to handle, but without the flour the calories are less. If you want to use flour that’s fine too. Just dip the zucchini strips in flour first, shake off excess, then dip in the egg, followed by the breading.
- Try different seasonings on the zucchini for more flavor. Onion powder, lemon pepper, steak seasoning or curry powder are some great flavors!
- Make sure to season the zucchini well before dipping in the egg/breading. If you don’t season the zucchini enough, it could be bland.
- Everything But the Bagel Seasoning is a great addition to the coating. Or just add sesame seeds for a nice flavor and crunch.
- All healthy air fried zucchini fries recipe details are in the recipe box below.
How to Make Keto Zucchini Fries in Air Fryer
Breading is the key factor to making these zucchini fries keto friendly. Traditional bread crumbs or panko bread crumbs are too high in carbs. Here’s a list of low carb keto breading ideas:
- Crushed pork rinds. These are usually bought already crushed or you can buy pork rinds and use a food processor to crush them yourself. The advantage of already crushed is that they are ready to use and quick and easy. But if you process them yourself, you can decide how coarse or fine you want you pork rinds.
- Almond flour is a popular low carb/keto friendly breading.
- Just using only grated parmesan cheese for the “breading” is great! It is a little saltier than combining it with other breading like crushed pork rinds or almond flour , so you might not need to season your zucchini as much.
Can You Use Yellow Squash or Summer Squash?
Sure! These other types of squash or yellow varieties of zucchini are great too! It’s fun to do a mix of them for a platter of pretty colors of zucchini fries. Or if your summer garden is exploding with yellow squash, then make more air fryer zucchini fries for everyone. 🙂
Dipping Sauce Recipes and Ideas:
- This easy 5 minute honey mustard sauce is killer easy and delicious for zucchini fries
- 15 minute cheesy stovetop queso recipe is probably going to be a favorite for your kids
- Creamy garlic Alfredo sauce is homemade, flavorful and a decadent treat!
- Homemade sriracha mayo
- Have a batch of homegrown chili peppers? Make homemade sriracha hot sauce.
Air Fryer Crispy Zucchini Fries
- 1 pound zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 1-2 eggs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs (or for Keto-crushed pork rinds, almond flour, etc.)
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs (thyme, oregano, basil, rosemary, etc.)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- oil spray , for coating
Dipping Sauce Options:
- marinara, ketchup, mustard, ranch, BBQ sauce, honey mustard sauce, hot sauce, etc.
- Preheat air fryer at 400°F/205°C for 5 minutes.
- Cut the zucchini lengthwise into wedges about 3/4-inch (2 cm) thick at the widest part. Cut them to desired fry length if needed.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs. In a second shallow bowl, combine Parmesan, bread crumbs, dried herbs, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Dip zucchini strips in egg to coat all sides, then coat the zucchini with parmesan/breading mixture.
- Cook the zucchini in batches: Coat the air fryer basket/tray with oil spray or line with air fryer perforated silicone liner or perforated parchment paper. Lay zucchini fries in a single layer cut side up in air fryer basket/tray. Coat the zucchini fries with another coat of oil spray.
- Air Fry at 400°F/205°C for 8-10 minutes. After cooking for 5 minutes, gently flip the zucchini fries and continue cooking for 3-5 minutes or until golden.
- Serve warm with your favorite sauce.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).