Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe in 5 min
After making a batch of our homemade buffalo sauce recipe, it’s hard to go back to the store-bought bottle. You can customize the flavors to what ever you like. Each batch of wings will be dynamite delicious. Make a big batch of this buffalo wing sauce recipe bottle it for gifts! Sharing is caring.
What is Buffalo Sauce?
That’s a great question. It’s such a popular sauce used on so many meat dishes, but particularly chicken wings. It’s bright orange, tangy, spicy, buttery and yummy. Most likely if you’re looking for a recipe here, then you’ve found a great one. If you’re new to this sauce, here’s a great article on the history of buffalo sauce.
Why Make Homemade Buffalo Sauce?
Sure, it’s easy to buy it pre-made. When you’re in a bind that’s the way to go. But if you have 5 minutes to spare, making a batch from scratch is way better. Our homemade buffalo sauce recipe is the best. Customize the flavors and best of all, it’s a bragging right to say that you made it yourself. From scratch!
Easy Buffalo Wing Sauce Recipe
It only takes a few ingredients to make a homemade buffalo sauce batch. It really does literally take 5 minutes to melt some butter in the microwave and whisking in the remaining ingredients. Add some cayenne powder for more heat and spice. Or you can tame it down a bit more by adding more butter. What ever ratios you decide, it’s always better than the bottle. Dunk one of our air fryer chicken wing recipes in the sauce and you’re ready to party!
Video: Homemade Buffalo Sauce in 5 min
How to make buffalo sauce?
It only takes a few ingredients (listed below) and maybe a minute to microwave the butter. Our technique is for microwaving the butter but if you want to heat it on the stovetop in a small pan, you can certainly do that too. Just remember that you can add more or less of your favorite flavors. Taste the sauce and then add extra seasonings if you want. Here’s some extra flavors that could make the sauce beyond flavorful:
- Add some fresh minced garlic. Our recipe has quick and easy garlic powder, but a few minced cloves of fresh garlic doesn’t hurt. If you want a sweeter garlic flavor, cook the garlic with the butter for a minute or two until it softens.
- Onion powder adds another great savory flavor to the homemade buffalo sauce.
- Cayenne powder really kicks the sauce to new levels of spice.
- Chipotle powder adds a nice smoky AND spicy layer of flavor.
- All the homemade buffalo sauce recipe details are below.
Homemade Buffalo Sauce
- 1/2 cup (115 g) butter , melted
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) hot sauce (Tabasco, Franks Hot Sauce, etc.)
- 1 Tablespoon (15 ml) Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) garlic powder
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).