Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings
Air fried frozen onion rings take just a few minutes in the air fryer to make them crispy. You don’t need any extra oil and it’s super easy to learn how to make crispy air fried onion rings from frozen.
How to Cook Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings
- Though there’s different brands, we have a time range that you can rely on for crispy onion rings. Adjust timing when needed and you’ll have a wonderful batch that tastes like it came out of the deep fryer.
- Best of all, you didn’t have to add any oil. The crunch of the onion rings are so good, it’s hard to resist making a second batch!
- Don’t thaw first. The onion rings cook up the crispiest when they are cooked straight from frozen. No need to thaw beforehand.
- The more you fill the air fryer basket/tray, the more frequently you’ll need to shake the basket to help them cook evenly.
- Don’t fill the basket/tray too much. About 1/2 full is the max you’ll want to fill it.
- See recipe below for the details.
Video making Frozen Onion Rings in the Air Fryer
What is the best brand of frozen onion rings for the air fryer?
There’s so many brands and they are all quite good. We haven’t found a brand we din’t like…. yet! What differs between the brands is the size and thickness of the onion rings. Also, the style of breading changes too so there’s lots of delicious air fried frozen onion ring possibilities out there. We tested this recipe on the Alexia brand with Panko bread crumbs on the outside crust and the results were crunchy, non-greasy onion rings. Yum!
Air Fryer Frozen Onion Rings
All air fryers are different and some cook much hotter than others. Once you cook your first batch of onion rings, you’ll know more of what works for your model of air fryer and size of food. These were tested on basket style air fryers. Read more recipe notes below the recipe.
- 6 ounces (170 g) Frozen Onion Rings
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Place the frozen onion rings in the air fryer basket and spread out evenly. No oil spray is needed.
- Air Fry at 400°F/205°C for 10 minutes. Shake and gently stir about halfway through cooking. If cooking larger batches, or if the onion rings don't cook evenly, try turning them multiple times on following batches.
- If needed air fry at 400°F/205°C for an additional 1-4 minutes or until crisped to your liking. Season with salt & pepper, if desired.
- No Oil Necessary. Cook Frozen – Do not thaw first.
- Shake or turn if needed. Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- Recipe timing is based on a non-preheated air fryer. If cooking in multiple batches of onion rings back to back, the following batches may cook a little quicker.
- Recipes were tested in 3.7 to 6 qt. air fryers. If using a larger air fryer, the onion rings might cook quicker so adjust cooking time.
- Remember to set a timer to shake/flip/toss as directed in recipe.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Check out these yummy loaded onion rings recipe.