Air Fryer Hot Dogs
Once you start air frying hot dogs, you won’t go back to any other way. Well, ok maybe on the grill during Summer is better. Best of all, these air fryer hot dogs are a great kids snack.
Easy Air Fryer Hot Dogs Recipe
But the air fried hot dogs are definitely a game changer! If you like your hot dogs charred and crispy, you will love this air fryer method. You might never want to cook hot dogs any other way. Outside of the hot dogs are plump, juicy and fantastic. But your air fried hot dogs don’t have to be crispy if you don’t want them that way. You can cook them in the air fryer to what ever texture you want.
Cook Hot Dogs Your Way! Air Fry Perfectly Plump or Crispy
Do you like your hot dogs plump and juicy? So do we! Just check in them halfway though the cooking time and adjust the remainder of your time to your personal taste and texture. What makes them every more amazing is warming the buns in the air fryer. The warm and crispy buns make these hot dogs over the top delicious!! so don’t forget this important step with the buns!
Watch the Video making Hot Dogs in the Air Fryer
How To Cook Air Fried Hot Dogs
These air fried hot dogs easy way to cook for a crowd and perfect for a Summer gathering like 4th of July.
- Avoid overcrowding the hot dogs the air fryer. Lay the hot dogs in a single layer and leave some space between them. The hot circulating air will cook all around the hog dog and make all sides cook more evenly.
- Bigger hot dogs: If you’re cooking thicker hot dogs or sausage dogs, add an additional minute or two of cooking time.
- Fully cooked hot dogs: This recipe is for hot dogs or sausage dogs that are fully pre-cooked.
- Score the hot dogs if you want to make them cook a little quicker.
- If you like the charred, smoky flavor like we do, cook them for a few minutes longer. These taste like they came off the grill, but so much easier to cook!
- Depending on the size of your air fryer, you can cook up to 12 hot dogs at once. That can easily feed a crowd with flavorful and delicious hot dogs. Best of all, the clean-up is super easy.
- All recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Air Fryer Hot Dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 4 hot dogs
- oil spray , for coating hot dogs
Topping Options for Serving
- ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, pickles, jalapeños, sauteed onion, crispy onions or shallots, hot sauce, bell peppers, etc.
- Lightly spray hot dogs with oil spray. Place in air fryer basket or air fryer rack.
- Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for 5 minutes. Shake or flip the hot dogs, and continue to Air Fry for another 2-5 minutes, depending on your preferred texture and size of hot dogs. If you like your hot dogs extra crispy (similar to grilled hot dogs), Air Fry at 400°F/205°C for about 6-8 minutes. Flip the hot dogs half way through cooking.
- Place hot dogs in the buns and put back in the air fryer. Air Fry for about 1 minute for the buns to warm and crisp. Or warm the buns separately if you like the inside of the bun crispy. Serve with your favorite toppings!
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Nutrition Information per Serving
Do hot dogs taste better in the air fryer?
This is always up for debate and it depends on what you’re comparing the air fryer to. Air frying hot dogs is way better than microwaving hot dogs and boiling hot dogs. Sorry, but that’s our honest opinion. The air fryer gives a nice crust on the outside of the hot dog. When it comes to grilling hot dogs, we love the grilled flavor and this technique is our favorite. But when you’re only needing to a hot dog or two, then air frying is definitely the way to go. Cooking them in the air fryer is much quicker than grilling and if you cook them hot and long enough, you can get a nice char.
DIFFERENT TYPES OF TOPPINGS FOR AIR FRYING HOT DOGS
There’s so many possibilities for topping hot dogs. You can use different pickles, sauces, relishes and more. But we love the most simple way to get the most flavor out of topping hot dogs, which is using different types of cheese. Most common cheese is using cheddar cheese, which is great! But have you tried other shredded cheeses?
- Spicy jack is a great way to make these chili dogs a little spicer. There’s so many different types of spicy cheese in the markets now. We’ve seen spicy cheddars and spicy gouda cheeses.
- Grated parmesan or asiago cheeses are great! They add an aged and super flavorful layer to the hot dogs. And they’re an easy to to kinda make your hot dogs fancy…. if you’re into that. LOL.
- Monterey Jack and even some slices of smoked gouda really take these hot dogs to another level.
- For a caprese inspired chili cheese dog, add some slices of buffalo mozzarella and a slice of tomato for an over the top caprese chili cheese dog.
- Sauerkraut, pickles, relish and cabbage slaw are always popular.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer mummy dogs are a hit with kids on Halloween
- Attention all corn dog lovers! Frozen corn dogs in the air fryer take minutes and it’s so easy to make.
- Love burgers? Here’s our complete list of air fryer burgers and sandwiches.
- This recipe was originally published in 2019 and re-published in 2021. Here’s more hot dog recipes to enjoy!