Air Fryer Hot Links
When we crave any type of spicy sausage, we’re reaching for hot links. These air fryer hot links are so quick and easy for anytime of day. When you’re craving some spicy sausage or a little protein snack, air frying hot links is the best.
What are hot links?
These popular spicy sausages are a part of the American barbecue culture, particularly in Southern United States. They’re juicy, spicy and super flavorful. These seasoned links are great for cooking whole or sliced and put into casseroles, stews or soups, and other cajun recipes. They’re a great way to add great spice and flavor to any dish, particularly when served at a bbq. Here’s more info and reading about what are hot links.
Air Fryer Hot Links are so good
We’re obsessed with air frying hot links because it’s so quick and easy. It’s a great alternative to cooking outside if you don’t have a bbq, grill or if you live in a small apartment. Not everyone has access to an outdoor grill so the air fryer is the next best option. Trust us, the hot circulating air of the air fryer cooks the links to be plump, juicy and almost as good as grilling. Best of all, it only takes a few minutes to air fry a whole small link and even quicker when air frying slices of the link. They’re just as good as making air fryer hot dogs or air fryer chili cheese hot dogs.
Pre-Cooked Hot Links
Our timing is based on pre-cooked hot links. If you have hot links that are raw on the inside, then we suggest piercing a few holes in the raw hot links. This will keep them from splitting or popping in the air fryer. Then follow our timing for air fryer raw sausage.
Video: Air Fryer Hot Links
Tips on Air Frying Hot links
- We tested these on the regular sized pre-cooked hot links that are about the same size as our air fryer bratwurst sausages.
- You can air fry whole links or slice them into your preferred sized slices. We love the slices because both sides of the slices can get nice and crispy. Just know that timing will vary. So just start at the lowest timing we recommend, then add additional minute or two.
- Remember, pre-cooked hot links cook much quicker than hot links that are still raw in the center.
- Check the air fryer after the first few minutes of air frying to make sure the hot links are cooked to your liking. you don’t want to overcook the links and make them dry out.
- All air fryer hot links details are in the recipe box below.
Air Fryer Hot Link Sausage Dogs
- 4 hot link sausages
- oil spray , for coating hot links
- 4 sausage dog buns or pretzel buns , if making into a hot link sausage dog
Topping Options for Serving
- ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, pickles, jalapeños, sauteed onion, crispy onions or shallots, hot sauce, bell peppers, etc.
- Place the hot link sausages in the air fryer basket/tray, making sure they are only in a single layer.
- Lightly coat the hot link sausages with oil spray.
- Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for 5 minutes. Flip the hot link sausages.
- Continue to Air Fry for another 2-5 minutes, depending on your preferred texture and size of the hot link sausages.
- If making Hot Link Sausage Dogs: Place the buns in the air fryer. Air Fry for about 30 seconds – 1 minute for the buns to warm and crisp.
- Put hot link sausages in the buns and serve with your favorite toppings!
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Nutrition Information per Serving
What are ways to serve hot links?
Hot links are so yummy and there’s so many possibilities to serve these. Here’s some of our favorite ways
- Serve them in jambalaya. Slices of these flavorful links with rice or pasta. The cajun flavors make these so good with thick slices of hot links.
- In a sandwich, or like a hot dog. They’re great spicy hot dogs.
- Rice or pasta casseroles are fantastic with these flavorful links.
- Chop them up and add to a stir fry or even fried rice
- Eat them alongside a bbq with soft slices of white bread. So good!
- If you have a soup or stew that needs a little more flavor, a big handful of these chopped hot links will take the flavors to a new level.
- Wrap some bacon around it and make it like our air fryer bacon wrapped hot dogs.