Air Fryer Plant Based Hot Dogs
Ever thought about trying vegan hot dogs in the air fryer? Try our air fryer plant based hot dogs technique! It’s one of our favorite ways to make this quick and easy meal in about 8 minutes. We’re obsessed with air fryer vegan hot dogs and the flavor and texture is outstanding.
Can you air fry plant based hot dogs?
Definitely yes and can and it’ll be your go-to method. The hot circulating air makes air fryer vegan hot dogs quick, simple and still flavorful. The flavors of the plant based dogs really come through by air frying and you can control the texture. If you want it to be just cooked enough and plump, then 5-6 minutes should be perfect. But if you like your vegan hot dogs in the air fryer to be more crispy, just air fry for a few more minutes. They’ll taste like they just came off a grill.
Video: Air Fryer Plant Based Hot Dogs
Brands of Plant Based Vegan Hot Dogs You can Air Fry
Compared to a few years ago, there’s so many more options now on the market. We tested so many different brands of plant based hot dogs. Air frying times are consistent with the same size or length of hot dogs. But we developed a simple technique which allows cooking them for a base time of 5 minutes. Then from there, you add additional 2-3 minutes and continue air frying until it’s cooked to your preference. So cooking times will different slightly based on personal tastes. Here’s a big list of vegan hot dogs out there. And plant based sausages too that you can eat as a hot dog or sausage dog.
- Field Roast plant based hot dogs
- Lifelight vegan hot dogs
- Uptons Naturals
- Tofurky sausages
- Beyond Meat or Impossible Foods
- Yves hot dogs
- Morningstar farms
Tips on How To Air Fry Plant Based Vegan Hot Dogs
Air frying is so simple and relatively safe that your teenage kids can cook these on their own. They can learn how to cook air fried vegan hot dogs themselves! Within about 5-10 quick minutes you can have this meal ready to devour. Here’s some tips on making this successful:
- There’s many different sizes and lengths of vegan hot dogs. But if you start with the minimum timing of 5 minutes, you’ll be very close. Then from there, check the plant-based dogs and if you want them to be more crispy or charred, add additional minute or two of air frying time.
- A light spray of oil on the dogs before air frying is helpful because it keeps the plant based hot dogs from drying out.
- You can cook them whole or score them. Scoring the veggie dogs will allow them to cook through the center more. Also, you have all the slits that will hold your ketchup, mustard or sauces more.
- Make sure to lay all them in a single layer in the air fryer basket for even cooking. If you stack them, the top ones will be too close to the heating element. Those hot dog will cook quicker than the bottom ones and most likely burn before the others are cooked.
- You must warm the buns in the air fryer! Toasted buns makes the eating experience over the top. Don’t eat the buns cold or hard. It just takes 1 extra minute of air frying time to make the hot dog buns perfect for serving.
- All air fryer beef franks recipe details are in the recipe box below. You’re going to love these cooked hot dogs!
Air Fryer Plant-Based Hot Dogs
- 4 plant-based hot dogs
- oil spray , for coating hot dogs
- 4 vegan hot dog buns
Topping Options for Serving
- ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, pickles, jalapeños, sauteed onion, crispy onions or shallots, hot sauce, bell peppers, etc.
- Place the plant-based hot dogs air fryer basket/tray. Make sure they are in just a single layer.
- Lightly spray the plant-based hot dogs with oil spray to coat.
- Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for 5 minutes. Turn the plant-based hot dogs.
- Continue to Air Fry for another 2-5 minutes, depending on your preferred texture and size of hot dogs.
- Place the buns in the air fryer. Air Fry for about 30 seconds – 1 minute for the buns to warm and crisp.
- Put the plant-based hot dogs in the buns and serve with your favorite toppings!
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Nutrition Information per Serving
Best Vegan or Plant Based Hot Dog Buns?
We love the pretzel buns by Pretzilla! They’re soft, tender, flavorful and vegan. Just remember to slice the pretzel buns in the middle. Then you MUST warm them or any hot dog buns in the air fryer for about 1 minute. Wow, the warm hot dog buns take this dish to the next level. This is not a sponsored at all. We just love these vegan pretzel buns!
Can you air fry frozen Vegan veggie hot dogs?
Sure you can but the outside will most likely dry out or cook faster than the center of the hot dogs. We suggest thawing them first. But if you need to eat right away then microwave the frozen hot dogs first for about 1 minute to soften them. Then pop them in the air fryer for about 1-2 minutes until they’re nice and crisp on the outside.
Favorite toppings for plant based hot dogs:
- sauerkraut and all types of pickles. We love pickled onions!
- All types of vegan cheeses, like vegan cheddar cheese. Even a big spoonful of vegan queso or salsa on it is amazing. Queso hot dogs in the air fryer!
- sweet or dill relish
- fresh tomatoes or charred sweet peppers
- raw red onion or caramelized
- different types of sauces like bbq sauce, mayo, mustard and …… yes, ketchup!
- what are your other toppings for air fryer plant based hot dogs do you like? Let us know in the comments below!
- What other things are you making with these air fryer hot dogs for vegetarians?
Side Dishes: Easy air fryer recipes to serve with air fried beef franks
- spicy cauliflower has so much flavor
- for extra protein, serve with a side of beans.
- We’re hugs fans of french fries! Check out our big list of air fryer french fries recipes
- We love air fryer corn on the cob as a side dish
- Check out all our air fryer vegetable recipes
- We always love a side of vegan potato salad, coleslaw or macaroni salad with our hot dogs in the air fryer