Air Fryer Breaded Asparagus Fries
These air fryer breaded asparagus fries are so addicting and delicious. Within 15-20 minutes (depending on how many you air fry at once), these crispy asparagus are the perfect side dish or snack.
Crispy Air Fryer Asparagus Fries
The hot circulating air really makes these fantastic and addicting to eat. We have our simple everyday air fried asparagus recipe here and now this crispy version is definitely a reader favorite. They’re great as an elegant side dish to healthy air fried salmon, air fryer steak or air fryer pork. Or you can enjoy these as a simple delicious vegetable snack.
Video: Air Fryer Breaded Asparagus Fries
How to Make Keto Low Carb Asparagus Fries
It’s simple to make these asparagus fries low carb or keto friendly. It’s all in the type of breading that you choose.
- Crushed pork rinds: for these asparagus fries to have the lowest carbs you can use crushed pork rinds. You can buy pork rinds already crushed or you can buy them in large pieces and grind them in the food processor. You’ll have a savory pork flavor on the asparagus.
- Almond Flour: use a little bit of almond flour for another low carb version. Using almond flour is an easy way to keep these asparagus fries vegetarian.
- Coconut Flour: this type of flour works great too.
- Parmesan cheese: Use only parmesan cheese and the flavor is outstanding with lots of cheese flavor. And the parmesan crust cooks to a perfectly crispy crunch.
Tips on How to Make Air Fryer Breaded Asparagus Fries:
- Asparagus ranges so much in thickness. We used slightly thin to medium spears of asparagus for our timing. If you use really thick asparagus, it might take an additional minute or two to get the outside breading crispy.
- Use fresh asparagus only. This recipe doesn’t really work on frozen asparagus because all the moisture released from frozen asparagus makes the breading soggy.
- Make sure to press the breading all around and into the asparagus spears. That way it sticks well during air frying.
- The light oil spray is great to ensure the breading cooks crispy. If you’re using crushed pork rinds you don’t have to use as much oil spray because there’s already enough oil in the pork rinds.
- All air fryer breaded asparagus fries recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Air Fryer Breaded Asparagus Fries
- 1/2 pound (227 g) fresh asparagus , ends trimmed
- 1 (1) egg , beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) salt , or to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic powder , or to taste
- 1/4 cup (27 g) bread crumbs (Italian style or Japanese panko)
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) grated parmesan cheese
- Oil spray , for coating asparagus fries
- Dips: hot sauce, ranch, bbq sauce, etc (optional)
- Pre-heat air fryer at 380°F/193°C for 5 minutes.
- Trim the tough bottom ends of the asparagus (usually about the bottom 1-2 inches).
- Lay the asparagus out on a board or plate and brush with the beaten egg. Season to taste with salt, pepper and garlic powder evenly over asparagus. Gently toss to coat evenly.
- On a plate combine the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Toss seasoned asparagus in the bread crumb/parmesan mix, gently shaking off any excess coating.
- Spray all sides of the breaded asparagus with oil spray. Dry breading might fly around in air fryer and burn, so make sure to coat any dry spots.
- Spray air fryer basket/tray and place asparagus in the air fryer in a single layer.
- Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for 5-8 minutes. Gently flip and spray any remaining dry spots with oil spray.
- Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for additional 3-5 minutes or until crispy golden brown. Serve warm with your favorite dip.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).