Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
Crispy air fryer coconut shrimp is a great appetizer recipe to share all year long. From New Years, Thanksgiving, Holidays and Game Day this easy recipe for coconut shrimp in the air fryer is a keeper throughout the year.
Easy Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp Recipe
What makes air frying this popular appetizer so amazing is that they cook really crispy. The hot circulating air is a great way to cook the shrimp all the way through with a crispy outside texture. It takes minutes to make a quick batch of air fried coconut shrimp for your next gathering. Or it can be a simple dinner too if you’re craving a seafood side dish.
Video: Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
How to Make Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp with Dipping Sauce (Tips)
- Use fresh shrimp for best results. The flavor and texture of the shrimp tastes so much better when you air fry with fresh shrimp.
- Shrimp varies so much in size, so your timing will vary too! Check the shrimp to make sure it’s cooked through and the crust isn’t burnt.
- After you make your first batch, you’ll know what the best timing is for the shrimp you bought.
- Can you use frozen pre-cooked shrimp? Yes, we discuss this below.
- Customize the dipping sauce to your personal taste. You can make it sweeter or saltier.
Can you use pre-cooked frozen shrimp ?
Yes you can but you want to make sure the cooked shrimp is fully thawed. Then squeeze out as much excess water as possible. This will help make the coconut crust crispy. If there’s any moisture in the shrimp, you can possibly get soggy results. Also, cooking time will be quicker so check your batch a little earlier. All you need is for the coconut crust to be brown. Don’t let the crust burn!
Can you freeze air fried coconut shrimp?
Yes you can! Just thaw the cooked coconut shrimp first before re-heating in the air fryer. After they’re thawed, air fry at 360F for about 3-5 minutes, or until they are warmed to your preference.
Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp with Orange-Soy Dipping Sauce
For the Coconut Shrimp
- 1 lb. (454 g) large shrimp , peeled and deveined
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 ml) garlic powder
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- 1/3 cup (42 g) flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup (43 g) sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup (54 g) bread crumbs
- Rinse and pat dry the shrimp. Season all sides of shrimp with paprika, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- You’ll need 3 bowls: In first bowl, add the flour. In second bowl, whisk together eggs. In third bowl combine coconut flakes and bread crumbs. Coat shrimp in flour mixture, then dip in egg mixture, then coat the shrimp with the coconut/bread crumb mixture.
- Coat the air fryer basket/tray with oil spray. Lay the coated shrimp in a single layer (cook in batches if needed). Lightly spray coated shrimp with oil.
- Air Fry at 380°F for about 10-14 minutes or until the crust is golden brown, flipping after 8 minutes if needed for even cooking. Cooking times will vary depending on shrimp size.
- For the Dipping Sauce: Whisk together the all of the dipping sauce ingredients (marmalade, chili garlic sauce, rice vinegar, and soy sauce) until smooth. Set aside until ready to serve with the coconut shrimp.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).