Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp
Yes, you can totally air fry frozen shrimp taken directly from the freezer. We were surprised at how well you can cook frozen shrimp in the air fryer, especially when it’s rock hard. After a few minutes, the air fried shrimp is plump and delicious.
How To Air Fry Frozen Shrimp (RAW)
It’s definitely a game changer because it’s so quick and the results are delicious. Just remember that shrimp varies so much in size, so you’ll have to adjust timing a bit. Also, each air fryer cooks a little differently as some cook hotter than others. So after you cook your first batch, you’ll know the exact timing needed to cook your specific size of shrimp and style of air fryer. All recipe details are in the recipe box below. Enjoy!
Video: Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp
Tips on Cooking Raw Frozen Shrimp in the Air Fryer
- You can cook the shrimp frozen. No need to thaw the shrimp first.
- Lightly coat the shrimp with oil for best texture. An oil sprayer works great for this.
- Spread the shrimp in an even layer. Try not to overlap the shrimp. Cook in batches if needed.
- All air fryers are different and some cook much hotter than others. Once you cook your first batch, you’ll know more of what works for your model of air fryer and size of food.
- Shrimp all vary significantly in size, coating, pre-cooked or raw, so you’ll have to adjust timing. This recipe is for frozen, raw, unbreaded shrimp.
- Remember to flip halfway through cooking.
- See recipe box below for the details.
- Pro-Tip: here’s our favorite tools to help make air frying easier:
We LOVE Evo Oil Sprayers. Not the prettiest, but they’re functional and spritz oil great! They don’t clog up like many others we’ve bought. There’s different styles, but all seem to have the same great spray head. Works great for grilling!
There are Square Mats & Round Mats. These perforated non-stick silicone mats are used to cook food in your air fryer or steamer to minimize sticking. Holes allow hot circulating air to cook the food & keeps the food from sticking.
Parchment sheets are great for your air fryer or bamboo steamer (food tends to stick most on wire basket or tray). Choose from different sizes, shapes, white and brown (unbleached). Holes allow air to cook food evenly.
How to Serve Air Fried Shrimp?
There’s so many delicious options for serving healthy shrimp. Here’s some ideas:
- Shrimp cocktail is amazing with this shrimp. Boiling it or thawing frozen shrimp just isn’t as delicious as serving it with the air fryer version. Here’s our air fryer shrimp cocktail recipe.
- Make shrimp tacos
- Add them to a healthy salad with some chopped avocado for a shrimp avocado salad
- You can make an easy garlic shrimp in the air fryer
- Coconut shrimp is a great appetizer in the air fryer
Air Fryer Frozen Shrimp (raw & un-breaded)
- 1 pound (454 g) frozen raw shrimp
- oil spray or vegetable oil , to coat shrimp
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Evenly coat the frozen shrimp with oil spray or vegetable oil. Season with salt & pepper (you do not need to thaw the shrimp).
- Place the frozen shrimp in the air fryer basket and spread in an even layer (make sure they aren't overlapping).
- Air Fry at 400°F/205°C for 8-14 minutes (depending on the size of your shrimp and your air fryer), flipping the shrimp halfway through cooking. Check for doneness & air fry longer if needed.
- Cook Frozen – Do not thaw first.
- Shake or turn if needed. Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- If cooking in multiple batches, the first batch will take longer to cook if Air Fryer is not already pre-heated. Recipe timing is based on a non-preheated air fryer.
- Recipes were tested in 3.4 to 6 qt air fryers. If using a larger air fryer, the recipe might cook quicker so adjust cooking time.
- Remember to set a timer to shake/flip/toss as directed in recipe.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
You Might also Love these other Seafood Air Fryer Recipes
- Air Fryer Frozen Fish Fillets
- Healthy Air Fryer White Fish with Garlic and Lemon
- More–> Air Fried Frozen Foods and All French Fries Recipes
Here’s more great shrimp recipes for you to enjoy! If you made any of our recipes please share in the comments below. Or if you have a photo, tag us on social media because we would love to see your creations! Thanks so much friends and happy air frying to you and your family! This recipe was originally published in 2019 and re-published in 2021 with updated photos.