Air Fryer Frozen Orange Chicken
We’re obsessed with air fryer frozen orange chicken. Our kitchen staff couldn’t believe a box of air fried frozen orange chicken in the air fryer could turn out so good.
These little nuggets were frozen and taken straight from the freezer into the air fryer. Within minutes, we had a bowl of crispy amazing orange chicken. Add the sauce packet and dinner was served! Everyone keep talking about the Trader Joe’s orange chicken so we decided to buy a different brand to try for ourselves and see if it was just the Trader Joe’s orange chicken or if any one might be super delicious in the air fryer. The other brands were super delicious too and incredible how easy it was to have orange chicken at home without a bunch of fuss. And just as good as take-out when you’re in a bind and need dinner quick!
How to cook Frozen Orange Chicken in Air Fryer (Tips)
- Don’t thaw the chicken first and make sure to spread it out into an even layer when air frying.
- Do not cook the chicken with the sauce. The sauce gets heated and added to the chicken after you cook it in the air fryer.
- Add your own personal or favorite sauces if you like.
- You can eat it cooked without sauce. It’s like little chicken nuggets.
- All air fryers and brands cook a little differently. Use the recipe below as a starting point and adjust as needed. After you cook your first batch you’ll know more of what time and temp works best for you.
- Details are below in the recipe box.
Video: Air Fried Frozen Orange Chicken
What to Serve with Orange Chicken?
This easy frozen orange chicken is a perfect quick family meal. Serve it with some white, brown or wild rice. And don’t forget the veggies! Some sautéed or steamed broccoli, carrots or cauliflower are the perfect side dish to complete the meal. Seriously, we were surprised how yummy frozen orange chicken can be. It’s going to be a go-to meal for our staff, especially those who have hungry kids to feed! Be ready to buy a few boxes to have ready in your freezer because it’s super delicious.
Trader Joe’s Mandarin Orange Chicken
Air Fryer Frozen Orange Chicken
- 10 ounces (240 g) Frozen Orange Chicken (about 2 cups worth)
- Place the frozen orange chicken in the air fryer basket and spread out into a single even layer. No oil spray is needed. Set the sauce aside (do not sauce the chicken yet).
- Air Fry at 400°F/205°C for 8 minutes. Shake and flip the chicken pieces over and then continue to cook at 400°F/205°C for another 2-4 minutes or until heated through and crispy.
- Warm the orange sauce in microwave for 1 minute or on stovetop for 2-3 minutes on medium heat. Toss cooked chicken with sauce and serve.
- No Oil Necessary. Cook Frozen – Do not thaw first.
- Shake or turn if needed. Don’t overcrowd the air fryer basket.
- Recipe timing is based on a non-preheated air fryer. If cooking in multiple batches of orange chicken back to back, the following batches may cook a little quicker.
- Recipes were tested in 3.7 to 6 qt. air fryers. If using a larger air fryer, the orange chicken might cook quicker so adjust cooking time.
- Remember to set a timer to shake/flip/toss as directed in recipe.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
You’ll also Love these Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
More orange chicken recipe inspiration. This recipe was originally published in 2019 and re-published in 2021.