Air Fryer Pita Pizza
Warm and crispy air fryer pita pizza is one of our go-to snack and mini-meals. These are the perfect individual size pizzas. The crispy crust on these air fried pita bread pizzas are fantastic!
Air Fryer Pita Pizza Recipe
This is the perfect no-fuss and no-mess pizza. The pre-cooked pita breads are the perfect quick and easy pizza base. The hot circulating air of the air fryer makes these individual pizzas crispy and fantastic. All you need to find is your favorite brand of pita bread, sauce and list of toppings. You can have a quick pizza snack, appetizer or meal for your family. This is a great pizza for kids after school snacking.
What is Pita Bread?
It’s a yeast-leavened flat bread originating Greece and around the Mediterranean region. They’re so delicious because they’re fluffy in the center with pockets of air that make them crisp and fantastic. The puff in the center forms a pocket of the pita bread which makes them great for stuffing.
Video: Easy Air Fryer Pita Bread Pizza
Tips on Making Air Fryer Pita Bread Pizza
- Pre-heat the pita bread first for a crispy pizza crust. We like to air fry the pita bread on both sides before saucing and topping.
- For an extra crisp texture when pre-heating the pita, try brushing some melted butter or olive oil on it. This will make the pita extra crispy when you air fry it first before the sauce and toppings. Some pita breads can be rather thick, so pre-air frying these breads will give you the crispy texture that you’re craving for.
- Different sauces. Tomato sauce is traditionally the most popular but have you tried a white sauce like alfredo sauce? Or bbq sauce and hot sauce is another great addition to give these pita pizzas a a more International flair.
- Different cheeses: mozzarella is great but try some smoked gouda, crumbled feta, crumbled blue cheese or smoked cheddar. These all add amazing flavor.
- All air fried pita bread recipe details are in the recipe box below.
- Pro Tip: Use an air fryer rack that fits your air fryer to keep the toppings from flying around. The hot circulating air can blow your cheese and toppings off the pizza. These racks are great to hold the toppings down as they finish cooking. Hope you enjoy or air fried pita bread pizza!
Air Fryer Pita Pizzas
- 1 pita bread
- 2 Tablespoons (30 ml) pizza sauce or tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup (28 g) shredded cheese
- salt , to taste
- black pepper , to taste
- Pepperoni, cooked Sausage, Bacon pieces, diced Ham, sliced or diced Tomatoes, Mushrooms, Pineapple, etc.
Other Sauce Options
- BBQ Sauce, Salsa, White (Alfredo) Sauce, Pesto, etc.
- Place the pita in air fryer (if making multiple pita pizzas, make sure it is in just a single layer – cook in batches if needed). Air Fry at 360°F/182°C for 2 minutes.
- Flip the pita bread over. Continue to Air fry at 360°F/182°C for another 1-2 minutes (if you want the crust extra crispy – air fry each side a couple minutes more).
- Spread the sauce over the toasted pita bread. Top with cheese and add additional salt, pepper and other preferred toppings.
- To keep your topping from flying around, place an air fryer rack over the pita pizzas.
- Air Fry the pizzas at 360°F/182°C for 2-5 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Allow to cool for a couple minutes, then slice and serve warm.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Nutrition Information per Serving
Different Sauces for Pita Pizza
To mix things up try using different sauces as the base. Marinara sauce is the classic popular sauce. But try some alfredo sauce, bbq sauce or any sauce that you like. The different flavors will definitely take these simple and quick air fried pizzas to a whole new flavor level. If you browse your the sauce aisles of your market, there’s great inspiration there!