Air Fryer Turkey Hot Dogs
Eating turkey hot dogs is a great alternative that’s a little healthier than other hot dogs. So have you tried our air fryer turkey hot dogs? Air frying is so much better than microwaving or boiling turkey hot dogs. Best of all, the hot circulating air makes these so perfectly crisp, almost like grilling. And you hardly need to use any oil on these air fryer turkey franks.
Air Fryer Turkey Hot Dogs Or Turkey Franks
Air frying turkey dogs is such a time saver and they taste amazing. When you’re busy or want to get the kids a quick snack, microwaving hot dogs is the go-to method. Second method is boiling them. But these air frying turkey hot dogs are a game changer. The texture is pretty much like grilling hot dogs where the outside is nice and crisp. The hot dogs have a wonderful “snap”, something you can’t get from boiling or microwaving them. Check out all our hot dogs in air fryer recipes here.
Score the hot dogs
Scoring the hot dogs makes them cook a little quicker, but best of all it makes them crispier. The slit edges and sides of the turkey hot dogs cook really crisp. So scoring them really makes them taste like they were grilled. Air Frying them for a little longer helps give that “grilled” crispy flavor and texture.
Video: How to Cook Air Fryer Turkey Hot Dogs
Different Brands of Turkey Franks and Chicken Hot Dogs
Nowadays, the choices are endless. With so many different large brands and micro brands, the selection of turkey hot dogs are pretty extensive. Get to know your options and this will make your devouring so much more interesting. There’s lot of organic chicken hot dogs to try too.
Air Fryer Turkey Franks/Hot Dogs
- 4 turkey franks/hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- oil spray , for coating hot dogs
Topping Options for Serving
- ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, pickles, jalapeños, sauteed onion, crispy onions or shallots, hot sauce, bell peppers, etc.
- Place the turkey franks/hot dogs in air fryer basket/tray in a single layer.
- Lightly spray the turkey hot dogs/franks with oil spray.
- Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for 4 minutes. Flip or shake the basket to turn the turkey franks.
- Continue to Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for another 1-3 minutes, depending on your preferred texture and size of turkey franks.
- Either warm the buns separately in the fryer for 1 minute if you like the inside of the bun crispy. Or place the turkey franks in the buns and put back in the air fryer. Then Air Fry for about 1 minute for the buns to warm and crisp.
- Serve with your favorite toppings!
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Nutrition Information per Serving
Best Tip: You Must Warm the Buns in the Air Fryer
You will thank us for this! You have to warm the buns in the air fryer. It’s so good to eat your crisp air fryer hot dogs with a warm bun. Don’t put those hot dogs in a cold bun. Where is the love?! Once you warm the buns for about 1-2 minutes, you won’t ever eat a cold hard bun again. Trust us on this. You’ll enjoy these air fryer turkey franks so much more.
Best chili cheese turkey hot dog
This is one of the best inventions ever: chili dogs! Buy or make some chicken or turkey chili. Top it on your air fried turkey hot dog along with some shredded cheese. WOW. This is so good and trust us, we’ve tested this and it’s amazing. Seriously, you have to try it. After your hot dog and buns are cooked in the air fryer, top it with some warm chili and cheese. You won’t ever buy these again because making them at home is way better and super budget friendly.
What to top on your air fryer turkey hot dogs?
There’s so many possibilities for topping hot dogs. You can use different pickles, sauces, relishes and more. But we love the most simple way to get the most flavor out of topping hot dogs, which is using different types of cheese. Most common cheese is using cheddar cheese, which is great! But have you tried other shredded cheeses?
- Spicy jack is a great way to make these chili dogs a little spicer. There’s so many different types of spicy cheese in the markets now. We’ve seen spicy cheddars and spicy gouda cheeses.
- Grated parmesan or asiago cheeses are great! They add an aged and super flavorful layer to the air fryer chicken franks or hot dogs. And they’re an easy to to kinda make your hot dogs fancy…. if you’re into that. Who doesn’t love something delicious?
- Monterey Jack and even some slices of smoked gouda really take these hot dogs to another level.
- For a caprese inspired chili cheese dog, add some slices of buffalo mozzarella and a slice of tomato for an over the top caprese chili cheese dog.
- Sauerkraut, pickles, relish and cabbage slaw are always popular.