Air Fryer Twisted Bacon (crispy & twirled)
We love air fryer bacon! But have you tried air fryer twisted bacon? The twirls make the bacon crispy and super fun to eat. Air fried bacon twists, twirls or sticks is the perfect low carb snack or for breakfast.
Air Fryer Twisted Bacon
Why air fry your bacon in twists? The taste is the same as air frying bacon in long strips, but the crunch factor is better! You get the crispy twirls of bacon and it’s also fun to eat. We’ve made this so many times and everyone loves the twisty crunch when you air fry the bacon this way.
Video: Air Fried Bacon Twists
Why Does Air Fryer Smoke When Cooking Bacon?
This is a great question and air fryers tend to smoke when cooking any types of food with high fat content. Read our detailed article on why your air fryer is smoking.
- One method that helps is to place a piece of bread under the basket or rack. The bread absorbs splattering oil from hitting the heating element, which can minimize the smoking. It’s all the fat that splatters the heating coils that causes the smoke. Discard the oil soaked bread after use.
Tips for Air Frying Twisted Bacon
- You use any type of bacon thickness. If you’re air frying thicker cut bacon, then the cooking time will take about 1-2 more minutes and extra another flip.
- Don’t twist the bacon too tight as you want enough space through the twirls. The space will allow hot air to circulate through the twist and make the center crispy.
- When the bacon is curled during air frying it takes up less space, so you can fit more in the air fryer.
- There’s so many different flavors of bacon and they all work great!
- All air fryer twisted bacon recipe details are in the recipe box below.
Air Fryer Twisted Bacon
- 6-8 slices pork bacon , regular thickness
- bread slice , to absorb bacon juices
- Place a slice of bread under the air fryer perforated basket or under the bacon on a separate rack to under the bacon.
- Carefully remove the bacon from it’s package and separate into individual strips.
- Gently twist each strip of bacon in loose curls. Place in a single layer the air fryer basket/tray. Allow some space between each bacon. They can slightly tough but do not stack or overlap them.
- Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for 8 minutes. Check the bacon and turn if needed.
- Continue to Air Fry for 1-3 minutes, or until crisped to your liking.
- Place on paper towel to drain excess oil. Enjoy them warm and crispy!
- Discard the bread under the air fryer perforated tray. If you like the timing and temp for the way the bacon turned out, write it down and save it! If not, make adjustments on your next batch. If needed add a touch of extra salt &/or black pepper for extra deliciousness.
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Nutrition Information per Serving
Can you air fry turkey bacon?
Yes, turkey bacon is a nice way to cut back on the grease and fat. But some brands of turkey bacon are too dry, so it helps to oil spray both sides of the turkey bacon first. After oil spraying, you can start twisting the bacon and then air fry it. The oil helps make the turkey bacon a little crispier and not cook into a hard stick.
Viral Tik Tok Twisted Bacon
If you follow social media at all you’ll know that this method of twisting bacon and air frying it really took off on Tik Tok. This viral bacon recipe was so popular that it had millions of views across so many different creator accounts. We believe it because this method of eating bacon twist is super fun and easy!