Air Fryer Wieners
Funny how there’s so many terms for the typical Hot dog. These air fryer wieners are so quick and easy, you’ll love air frying any type of wiener, including different types of franks, hot dogs and sausages. It’s such a quick and easy Snack!
Why are they called Wieners? Same as hot dog?
There’s an interesting and long history of our classic American hot dog. It all started with sausages and that elongated meat shape in Germany, specifically Vienna Germany. Vienna in German is “wien”, so that explains half of the culinary history and term right there. Here’s a great read on the whole history of wieners.
Why Make Air Fryer Wieners?
It’s so quick and easy, there’s no reason to not air fry wieners or hot dogs! Most of the time when you’re busy or want to get the kids a quick snack, microwaving hot dogs is the go-to method. Second method is boiling them. But these air fryer weiners are a game changer. The texture is pretty much like grilling hot dogs where the outside is nice and crisp. The weiners have a wonderful “snap”, something you can’t get from boiling or microwaving them.
Video: Air Fryer Wieners and Hot Dogs
So Many Brands of Wieners, Hot Dogs, Franks
The options out there are almost too many! With so many different large brands and micro brands, and the different sizes, the selection of wieners can be overwhelming. Get to know your options and this will make your devouring so much more interesting.
Air Fryer Wieners
- 4 wieners
- 4 hot dog buns
- oil spray , for coating hot dogs
Topping Options for Serving
- ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, pickles, jalapeños, sauteed onion, crispy onions or shallots, hot sauce, bell peppers, etc.
- Place the wieners in air fryer basket/tray in a single layer.
- Lightly spray the wieners with oil spray.
- Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for 4 minutes. Flip or shake the basket to turn the wieners.
- Continue to Air Fry at 380°F/193°C for another 1-3 minutes, depending on your preferred texture and size of the wieners.
- Either warm the buns separately in the fryer for 1 minute if you like the inside of the bun crispy. Or place the wieners in the buns and put back in the air fryer. Then Air Fry for about 1 minute for the buns to warm and crisp.
- Serve with your favorite toppings!
If your air fryer is preheated or if you are cooking multiple batches, you may need to reduce timing by a few minutes (unless preheating is called for in the recipe).
Nutrition Information per Serving
Why warm the hot dog buns in the air fryer?
There’s no reason to not do this because you will be obsessed with how great they taste and how easy they are. You have to warm the buns in the air fryer. It’s so good to eat your crisp air fryer wieners with a warm bun. Don’t put those wieners in a cold bun. Where is the love?! Once you warm the buns for about 1-2 minutes, you won’t ever eat a cold hard bun again. Trust us on this. Check out all our hot dogs in air fryer recipes here.
Wiener Chili Dogs are Easy and Delish!
If you like chili, find or make some easy chili. Top it on your air fried wiener dog along with some shredded cheese. WOW. This is so good and trust us, we’ve tested this and it’s amazing. Seriously, you have to try it. After your hot dog and buns are cooked in the air fryer, top it with some warm chili and cheese. You won’t ever buy these again because making them at home is way better and super budget friendly.
Delicious Wiener Dog Toppings
There’s so many possibilities for topping air fryer wieners. You can use different pickles, sauces, relishes and more. But we love the most simple way to get the most flavor out of topping hot dogs, which is using different types of cheese. Most common cheese is using cheddar cheese, which is great! But have you tried other shredded cheeses?
- Spicy jack is a great way to make these chili dogs a little spicer. There’s so many different types of spicy cheese in the markets now. We’ve seen spicy cheddars and spicy gouda cheeses.
- Grated parmesan or asiago cheeses are great! They add an aged and super flavorful layer to the air fryer chicken franks or hot dogs. And they’re an easy to to kinda make your hot dogs fancy…. if you’re into that. Who doesn’t love something delicious?
- Monterey Jack and even some slices of smoked gouda really take these hot dogs to another level.
- For a caprese inspired chili cheese dog, add some slices of buffalo mozzarella and a slice of tomato for an over the top caprese chili cheese dog.
- Sauerkraut, pickles, relish and cabbage slaw are always popular.
- Here’s our healthy air fryer chicken hot dog tips